Echo & Alexa Forums

Turn off lights at specific time with echo plus

LindaL

Turn off lights at specific time with echo plus
« on: November 05, 2017, 07:21:20 pm »
I can turn on lights at a specific time using a routine.  But how do I turn off the lights at a specific time?  Routines don't have a turn off option.  I have a echo plus and am new to the Alexa family.

malliekm

Re: Turn off lights at specific time with echo plus
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2017, 08:24:24 pm »
Not sure this is the info you're looking for, but I use my smart plug's app (Kasa by TP-Link) to set a schedule.
Den lamp comes on at 5:40am and goes off at 6:10am.  Boy, I just opened up the Alexa app for the first time in months and it looks totally different!

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2017, 04:44:59 am »
I can turn on lights at a specific time using a routine.  But how do I turn off the lights at a specific time?  Routines don't have a turn off option.  I have a echo plus and am new to the Alexa family.

this is is something that can be done through the devices app not the echo or as far as I can tell, the echo plus.  .

asianrocker

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2017, 01:44:15 pm »
Yap I don't think you can turn off anything through echo. Just tried to turn off my nest - it says that command does not work.

So for now echo is not all in one you still need the appropriate app of your smart home. I can turn on/off my nest on their app, no problem. Echo plus can't control your smart home remotely. But I can on my nest app.

Crashmeister

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2017, 03:56:48 pm »

In the app, create a new routine, select "when this happens", select "At a scheduled time" and take it from there.

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2017, 07:14:34 pm »
Yap I don't think you can turn off anything through echo. Just tried to turn off my nest - it says that command does not work.

So for now echo is not all in one you still need the appropriate app of your smart home. I can turn on/off my nest on their app, no problem. Echo plus can't control your smart home remotely. But I can on my nest app.

yea, there are still a lot of things that must be controlled through the devices app.  the echo plus is not a catch-all yet. 

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2017, 07:15:44 pm »

In the app, create a new routine, select "when this happens", select "At a scheduled time" and take it from there.

you are right, you should be able to do it through the routines.  I have not messed with them yet so I really don't know what they are capable of yet. 

Crashmeister

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2017, 07:22:48 pm »
One other thing.

To turn off a light in a routine, press the big circle after selecting the light (it should then be black/off). Pressing the big circle again turns it the other way. Use the slider to set dimming if you are turning it ON.

LindaL

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2017, 05:45:32 pm »
Thanks to crashmeister, I did not know to press the big circle to get the lights off command. It works.  Thank you very much.

TimmyPinLA

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2018, 01:45:04 am »
Thanks to crashmeister, I did not know to press the big circle to get the lights off command. It works.  Thank you very much.

I just messed with this for an hour, after reading this post probably...20 times, right before crashmeisters answer then i'd search again..lol...

I figured it out the hard way, getting ticked and hitting the big circle...thanks also crash!

asianrocker

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2018, 05:57:59 am »
I can turn off my light via routine. But that only dims it to 0% I believe it's really not turning it off, off, know what I'm saying? Kinda like how you can't turn off nest via echo. Coz you can't turn it on via echo if you did.

arun

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2018, 05:38:17 am »
I wrote my own skill for this and it's a bit long winded approach. Here's how it works.

My setup uses OpenHab running on the RPi as the Hub, so all my devices show as via the Hue emulation bridge.

1) First I invoke the skill, and say -- Ask home to turn off living room lights in 10 minutes

2) The alexa skill parses this for the device name , action and duration and passes this to a PHP script which runs on my PI. The script writes this to a file in a delimited format.

3) I've a python job running every minute which reads the file and checks if there are any devices to be controlled at that time (or before). If there is , it calls the OpenHab API and performs the action and removes that timer from the file and exits.

Works OK so far. The issue here is, you need to add all those devices you need to control into the Alexa skill slot. I need to see if i can use the Smart Home Skill to get the list of already discovered devices.