Echo & Alexa Forums

Group music stops within a few minutes

jcfolk

Group music stops within a few minutes
« on: November 04, 2017, 11:07:57 am »
I have an "everywhere" group set up with one echo and three dots.  When I start a channel "play classic rock everywhere" the command executes properly. However, within a few minutes the music will just stop on all devices. This happens every time, almost always after two or three songs. I'm stumped. Anyone have any ideas?

Jeff29

Re: Group music stops within a few minutes
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 12:49:52 am »
Does this same problem happen on a single device (without using a group)?

Does this same problem happen on a single device  (without using a group) but take longer to manifest (like 6-10 hours)?

fishcough

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2017, 09:40:15 am »
Hi, not the OP, but having the same problem every since multi room groups came out.

In my case, single device plays flawlessly. No issues.  Only shows up on a group. Don't believe it ever encounters an issues even after many hours of playing.

Groups will start fine, play perfectly among my connected Echo and two dots, and then after a few songs/minutes, will cut off (typically at the end of a song, though on occasion in the middle). Alexa app indicates it is still playing (and will show the same song playing for a long time; almost as if it is having trouble connecting to advance the next song -- even though, again, no trouble ever when running as a single device).

Occurs on Pandora and Amazon music.  I've tried reconfiguring new groups (leaving out the echo for instance) but still no joy.

I see a few folks have encountered this issue as well, so very hopeful someone has a fix or at least a bead on the issue. Amazon has been no help.

Thanks!

StevenR

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2017, 12:00:39 pm »
One thing about multi-room audio is that saying "Alexa, stop" to any device in the group stops it playing on all devices in the group regardless of where you started it playing from. It would only take someone in one of the rooms to say that or for Alexa to misinterpret a sound (something in the music itself or background sounds) as someone saying that. It's worth checking the history in the Alexa app to see if that is what happened.

fishcough

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2017, 07:49:08 am »
Thanks, Steven. I'll keep an eye out, but don't think that's the issue since it happens so consistently (also because the Alexa app shows the song as continuing to "play."). 

bltpyro

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2017, 04:53:17 pm »
I have this same issue. Sometimes music stops on all devices. Sometimes just one for a while, and then it will stop as well. Once it gets to a new song they typically start working again, but then part way through the song stop again.

No issues on one device
Happened with 2, but less often
With 3 devices can't get through a single song without them stopping, making it completely unusable.

AAB760

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2017, 01:28:04 pm »
Same here.  It played 20 minutes this morning and stopped,  phone showed it was still playing.  I hit the fast forward button and it resumed on one speaker only, plays one song and stops   Very annoying.   Only happens when using "everywhere"   when on single speaker.  Tried troubleshooting for 2 hours and nothing works...

fishcough

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2018, 08:01:21 am »
Hello, in case anyone is still following this, or stumbles across it, I have an update of sorts. I've been around, and around, and around, and around... with Amazon tech support and customer support. What I am told is this is a "known issue" affecting "some" customers. Apparently, it has nothing to do with firmware, etc. One theory from the tech support folks was that it had to do with internet drop outs, but that was disproven. The latest I've been told, two weeks ago, was that a fix has been written, but it will take "a few months" to reach all customers.

Interestingly, since Spotify came onboard for multi-room, the problem occurs less frequently. Rarely on Spotify, fairly often on Pandora and Amazon music.

RBQ

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2018, 03:28:27 pm »
I have the same problem. Five echo dots, one Hue bridge driving two bulbs, on TP link bulb, two phones and one table all on a Comcast business static IP account. Music started stopping on the "everywhere" group last week. First Amazon rep told me that I. Ended more bandwidth, so I upgraded with Comcast. Didn't fix it. Next rep told me that my free trial music was almost over and I needed to upgrade to Prime Music which I did. Didn't fix it either. Finally a rep actually checked all of the ports and they were correct. She had me reset all dots and rebuild the "everywhere" group. Worked flawlessly for one week. Now it is doing it again. 😐

fishcough

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2018, 10:05:47 am »
RBQ, I'd suggest writing "Jeff@amazon.com". Now, obviously Bezos is not going to read it, but it does elevate it apparently. It sounds like, through their lack of knowledge, Amazon has had you spend money on fixes that were not the issue.

I spent, literally, hours on chat with probably 10 different customer service reps, several of whom flat out lied to me, and others who just obviously didn't have any sort of solution so just wasted my time. I finally got some actual information (and, to my surprise, some reimbursement via amazon credit as an apology for the run around), when I elevated it by writing Bezos. Even though that information is the equivalent of "wait a few months and we'll see."

It is a known issue. They should not have you wasting time and money pursuing worthless "fixes."