Echo & Alexa Forums

Group Problems

plocht

Group Problems
« on: November 02, 2017, 09:02:46 am »
I have created a Group called Bedroom using the Alexa iPhone App.   In this Group if have the following items:

•   1 – Hue Light bulb – Named:  Dresser
•   1 – TP link (TuyaSmart) Smart Plug – Named:  Toms
•   1 – Echo Dot (in the bedroom)

If from within the Alex app I turn the Group on or off, then both devices, the Smart Plug and the Hue Light both go on or off.

If speaking to the Echo Dot in the Bedroom I say, “Turn On Lights”, the Hue Light comes on, but not the TP Smart Switch. 

Any ideas how to fix this?

StevenR

Re: Group Problems
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2017, 11:59:16 am »
That is because it isn't a light, but a smart plug. The feature is based on device type. You can work around this by using Home Assistant, which has an emulated Hue bridge.

plocht

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2017, 10:52:59 am »
Is there a way to redefine the device type?   

asianrocker

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2017, 11:41:39 am »
For what you want just use the routine. That's what I believe is equivalent to scene. It's a new feature for Alexa app.

I look into it on my phone and I don't have any options for smart home maybe coz I don't have any.

But do let me know if you can do what you want with that routine feature.

I just looked at the Alexa app. They actually have a scene feature too. I think that is more what you needed.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 08:06:41 am by asianrocker »

plocht

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2017, 07:18:19 am »
Routines do not solve the problem.   Ultimately what I want to do is to walk into any room where there is an Echo and say  "Turn On Lights" and have just those lights in which the specific Echo is included in that rooms group.  As an example, I walk into a bedroom and say "Turn On Lights" and all lights that include both the particular Echo and Lights/Smart Plugs turn on.   I then move to another room, say the living room and give the same command and only those lights for the Echo that is listening in the Living room (and are in the group) come on.