Echo & Alexa Forums

Alexa App showing duplicate devices

drunkpenguin

Alexa App showing duplicate devices
« on: November 01, 2017, 01:38:51 pm »
Since the latest Alexa update I've dot duplicates of all my wemo devices and alexa keeps telling me to name everything with unique names.

Unless I am missing something I don't even see a way to remove them other than disabling them.  I seem to have lost the ability to forget devices and re-discover.  Is disabling the same as forgetting? 

Re: Alexa App showing duplicate devices
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2017, 02:49:47 pm »
I had the same issue with the last update.
Use the web interface not the app to forget devices
https://alexa.amazon.com

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2017, 05:23:48 pm »
does the wemo app show dups?

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2017, 06:28:08 pm »
mine never

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2017, 06:49:13 pm »
don't have my phone with me right now but I just went to the alexa page on my computer and forget was there.  you have to go to smarthome - device. 

drunkpenguin

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2017, 08:40:55 pm »
Thanks for the tip on the web version, I didn't realize that was available.  I deleted all devices and rediscovered which was probably dumb cause it killed off my groups, but thats fine I can recreate them. 

But I'm still discovering duplicates.  Appears that all the wemo plugs are getting found twice, but the switches and dimmers are not.

Edit, the above is true on the web but my phone still shows dups for evry device.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 08:46:06 pm by drunkpenguin »

flev

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2017, 12:26:03 am »
Since the latest Alexa update I've dot duplicates of all my wemo devices and alexa keeps telling me to name everything with unique names.

Unless I am missing something I don't even see a way to remove them other than disabling them.  I seem to have lost the ability to forget devices and re-discover.  Is disabling the same as forgetting?
I don't see the advantage of taking away the option to forget a device, I have issues with alexa saying devices not being responsive and I used to be able to forget the device and I would search for new devices, then it would find it all over again and it would then work....seems whoever came up with the new update should rethink it.

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2017, 04:42:45 am »
I forgot about the original question about disable being the same as forget.  I would give that a try on the dups you don't want and see what it does. 

are you running any type of wemo skills?  if so, disable it. 

orange

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2017, 05:40:48 am »
I don't see the advantage of taking away the option to forget a device,

Assumed this was a bug with the latest version ?

drunkpenguin

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2017, 10:28:57 am »
I tried disabling the skill and re-enabling it, but after doing so all my devices were still listed without needing to rediscover.  I'll play around with it more this weekend and see what I can figure out.

I am using Automation Manager on a Windows server for all the rules.  I wonder if that's part of it.

drunkpenguin

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2017, 05:35:11 pm »
Most of the duplicates disappeared on their own for some odd reason.

Ive got 1 device left thats still showing a dup because I used to have a regular wemo switch in the bedroom called bedroom lights, but a month ago i swapped it for a wemo dimmer.  the old switch is in a box but alexa keeps finding it.  i removed it from the wemo app and clicked forget in the alexa app, but it comes back after discovery.  even if i disable it in alexa she still tells me there are multiple devices named bedroom lights.

driving me nuts.

drunkpenguin

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2017, 10:47:26 am »
Found a work around.

Powered up the old switch long enough to rename it 1234, did a rediscover with alexa so now there is only 1 called bedroom lights.  I then reset that old switch to defaults, powered it down, and told alexa to forget that one.

If it comes back it wont matter, not sure what someone would do in a scenario like this where the old switch had died and couldnt be renamed, but its working now.

ElliesMom

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2017, 12:34:26 am »
I had the same problem after changing home wi-fi router and network.  Specfically, I had trouble with iDevice switches.
 The problem started after changing my home network. I did a factory re-set on each device and re-registered with the iDevice app and gave each one the same name it had before the network change.  In the iDevice app each device appeared one time, however Alexa now showed each switch 2 or 3 times.  Deleting all on website didn't help - they just reappeared the next time I "discovered new devices."  Deleting them from the manufacturer's app wasn't an option as that app only showed one version of each device.  Here's the fix I discovered:

1. Changed name of the devices in the iDevices app to something unique so I could easily identify the correct/active device.  You can change this back after you are finished with steps below.
2. Unlink Alexa from the iDevice app
3. Disabled iDevice skill from Alexa
4. Delete/Forget all devices on alexa.amazon.com
5. Enable iDevices skill in Alexa
6. Discover new devices and confirm the duplicates are gone.
7. Change name of each device back to original name in iDevices app after you've confirmed the duplicate (bad) devices are gone. 
8. Rediscover new devices.

Not sure if this helps with the Hue problem as none of my Hue lights ever duplicated (even though they appeared in the offending iDevices app as well), however I thought I'd leave this fix here in case any other smart home device users were having the same problem as I was.

Mrwrighty

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2018, 02:50:25 pm »
I have had this issue as well and hopefully found a solution.

The problem arises when renaming the Hue devices to anything other than the default names given when Hue discovers devices. Leave the names as they are.

Go,to the Alexa app Smart Home and add devices, it will then find the default names devices from the Hue hub. Leave the names as they are. Go to groups and create a suitable group name or pick from the selection and then add the relevant Hue bulb to the group.

You can now use the group name to control the lights and any further discovery of devices will not result in duplicates being found.

Viper3773

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2018, 06:42:26 pm »
I had the same problem after changing home wi-fi router and network.  Specfically, I had trouble with iDevice switches.
 The problem started after changing my home network. I did a factory re-set on each device and re-registered with the iDevice app and gave each one the same name it had before the network change.  In the iDevice app each device appeared one time, however Alexa now showed each switch 2 or 3 times.  Deleting all on website didn't help - they just reappeared the next time I "discovered new devices."  Deleting them from the manufacturer's app wasn't an option as that app only showed one version of each device.  Here's the fix I discovered:

1. Changed name of the devices in the iDevices app to something unique so I could easily identify the correct/active device.  You can change this back after you are finished with steps below.
2. Unlink Alexa from the iDevice app
3. Disabled iDevice skill from Alexa
4. Delete/Forget all devices on alexa.amazon.com
5. Enable iDevices skill in Alexa
6. Discover new devices and confirm the duplicates are gone.
7. Change name of each device back to original name in iDevices app after you've confirmed the duplicate (bad) devices are gone. 
8. Rediscover new devices.

Not sure if this helps with the Hue problem as none of my Hue lights ever duplicated (even though they appeared in the offending iDevices app as well), however I thought I'd leave this fix here in case any other smart home device users were having the same problem as I was.

This was so helpful! I specifically had an iDevices issue as well, and I will note that after step 7, I had to re-enable the Alexa integration inside of the iDevices app.  Otherwise, super helpful instructions!