Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

My "This Dottie"

malliekm

My "This Dottie"
« on: September 07, 2017, 03:26:11 pm »
So far so good!  I don't see any working/technical issues what-so-ever.  In this upright position, the Dot's face is upside down.  I can't place the This Dottie in the downward position in this location.  I'm good with it :)  I didn't move it far.  It was on the back of the toilet to the right of the vanity.  But with the toilet lid almost always up, there was a barrier that, believe it or not, made a difference in Alexa hearing me.  This is only the 2nd day but so far so good :)  The cord from Alexa isn't just taking up space.  The new monster (Shark) vacuum cleaner shredded DH's phone charger cord yesterday  :-[  Literally shredded it!  DH is a happy camper with a longer charge cord :)

I don't know if this will work.  I don't think I can use PhotoBucket any longer for 3rd party hosting.  I uploaded this to Google via Picasa. 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/BXIcJn4oIS7q5g5d2

malliekm

Re: My "This Dottie"
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2017, 04:15:45 pm »
Would someone kindly let me know if the picture has been made public, please?
Thanks

AlanH

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2017, 05:04:56 pm »
I can see it.

malliekm

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2017, 05:18:29 pm »
Thank you Alan :)

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2017, 05:39:32 pm »
I see it.  now all you have to do is to paint a smiley face on it  :-)

malliekm

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2017, 07:10:17 pm »
I see it.  now all you have to do is to paint a smiley face on it  :-)

LOL
In a few days I'm going to test it in a typical wall outlet that's closer to the ground to see if I can detect any problems. 
It has solved a problem I was having with the previous location.  We can both hear each other better :)  I think $20 is a little steep on the price tho.  If it proves to work perfect in an outlet closer to the floor, I'd like to buy one more but not sure I'm willing to spend $20 for such a small convenience.

Offline jwlv

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2017, 04:01:46 am »
LOL that's almost like an alternative to the Smart Mirror :)

Offline jwlv

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2017, 01:44:25 am »
Just got my This Dottie today! The design is quite ingenious. By the looks of it, you might think that it can't possibly hold the weight of the Dot and would fall off the AC outlet with the slightest touch. But it's actually quite stable.

It sells for $19.99 on Amazon, but if you order it direct from https://nothinglikethis.io/order/ it costs $17.99.
I know that Amazon takes a big chunk of the sales from merchants. I think it's somewhere between 20-30%. So I think that it's much more profitable for merchants to sell outside of Amazon.

Short video of my This Dottie: https://youtu.be/EIIgRdDv-ok

« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 03:00:55 am by jwlv »

malliekm

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2017, 02:21:02 am »
I like mine!  My Dot sounds better (louder) using the Dottie.  It's in my bathroom and will be the one Dot I keep. 

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2017, 07:52:17 am »
The one thing they could have done to increase value is to make the adapter part a throughput to the outlet so you don't "lose" an outlet location by using it... other than that I like it. Basically a "tee" built in would allow you to use the outlet for normal other items as well... of course a warning label would be required to keep idiots form using their soldering gun through it...
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!