Echo & Alexa Forums

Echo / Alexa in France from US

Elisa

Echo / Alexa in France from US
« on: December 26, 2017, 06:02:35 pm »
Hello, I'd like to use my Echo Alexa in France... already set-up through a U.S. account on U.S. territory.

I thus simply need to know if the Echo WILL Function upon arrival to France (in English, at least))... especially if it has already been set-up in the states. Shouldn't this help for me to avoid set-up problems occurring currently in France?

I've read that system glitches cause problems, such as preventing Echo Alexa from responding once connected in France. Is this still the case? Shouldn't I be able to travel with the Echo, plug it in, connect to wifi, then continue on with use just as I use Echo alexa in the US?

Before adding extra weight to my suitcase, would love know what you've heard or know about this!

Thank you!
« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 06:29:13 pm by Elisa »

asianrocker

Re: Echo / Alexa in France from US
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2017, 07:26:45 pm »
You most probably will have error. Alexa DOES detect your location. That, I'm 100% sure.

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2017, 05:55:25 am »
Hello,
Well I wouldn't be as affirmative as Asianrocker...
I own one Echo Dot, 2 Echo 2nd Gen, and a new Echo Show, I live in France, and they all work nice and easy. I have set them up with my UK account. I use them quite a lot to manage my lights and to listen to music through my Spotify account. I check my planning, check the weather, stuffs like that. Too bad YT doesn't work with my Show, but...

Cheers :)

asianrocker

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2017, 10:18:55 am »
But UK where you originally bought it is in Europe too. So maybe that Gibraltar address works. If she wants to use her US echo in Europe she might have to do that step by step made by someone who made his US gifted echo work in India.

I am not saying it's impossible, you will have an error but you have to jump through hoops to make it work. There is ALWAYS a work around. It's a pain in the A. LOL.

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2017, 10:23:20 am »
I really don't think the country where you buy the Echo matters. Be it in the US or in the UK, it's the same hardware. It's how you set it up that matters. OP needs to use her UK account to configure the Echo and that's all. When I want to check something locally, like the weather, I specify the city and I get my report.
I don't think I'm wrong, but don't hesitate to prove me wrong, I don't want the OP to be mad at me if I am :D

Jerome

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2018, 08:11:50 am »
I really don't think the country where you buy the Echo matters. Be it in the US or in the UK, it's the same hardware. It's how you set it up that matters. OP needs to use her UK account to configure the Echo and that's all. When I want to check something locally, like the weather, I specify the city and I get my report.
I don't think I'm wrong, but don't hesitate to prove me wrong, I don't want the OP to be mad at me if I am :D
I agree : I have a British Echo and 2 American Echo Dots 2nd gen.
The hardware is the same as elsewhere, it's just how you configure them and the location you use them from (with obvious limitations in France since they've not been officially released yet)