Echo & Alexa Forums

Additions to routines

automatedApartment

Additions to routines
« on: October 30, 2017, 11:24:57 am »
Routines form Alexa are a great 1st step and I love how I can now just tell Alexa "good night" and have it turn off all my lights BUT its still missing a few things:

1: add in a speech command. Right now all it says is "OK"  adding in a better response when a routine is run would be so much better and cooler like " Turning off all lights, have a great night"

2: The ability to tell you the days calendar events. this goes well with a morning routine to let you know what you have scheduled for your day, along with the traffic and news options we already have.

just a couple of suggestions. can anyone think of any more ?

StevenR

Re: Additions to routines
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2017, 01:04:11 pm »
What I would want would be sort of like your second suggestion. This would be to allow us to add "what's up" as an action. If you haven't used this, saying "Alexa, what's up?" gives you an update with the time, weather forecast, upcoming events in your calendar, and a short news story (I actually prefer this to the Flash Briefing).

RonZ

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2017, 10:28:46 am »
I would like to be able to open rain sounds and set a sleep timer for 45 minutes when I say good night in addition to turning off the lights.

GoonerJed

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2017, 02:22:27 am »
I would like to be able to open rain sounds and set a sleep timer for 45 minutes when I say good night in addition to turning off the lights.
this would be the perfect routine for me as well Ronz, hopefully this type of automation will come soon

orange

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2017, 05:12:28 am »
I think it would be much easier if they let you define the routine as things you would say to alexa.

eg:

1 - "play betime story"
2 - "turn off lights"
3  - "set sleep timer for 30 minutes"
4 - "set bedroom temperature to 18 degrees"

etc
etc
this would give you MANY more options of what routines could achieve

Jerome

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2017, 05:15:21 am »
I think it would be much easier if they let you define the routine as things you would say to alexa.

eg:

1 - "play betime story"
2 - "turn off lights"
3  - "set sleep timer for 30 minutes"
4 - "set bedroom temperature to 18 degrees"

etc
etc
this would give you MANY more options of what routines could achieve
+1000  8)

asianrocker

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2017, 09:49:47 am »
You actually can name your routine however you want. Seems none of you here know that?

You guys need to explore your Alexa app more obviously.

I don't even use it. Just saw a routine on my menu so I look into it.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 09:51:27 am by asianrocker »

orange

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2017, 07:07:28 am »
You actually can name your routine however you want. Seems none of you here know that?

You guys need to explore your Alexa app more obviously.

I don't even use it. Just saw a routine on my menu so I look into it.

? what has this got to do with the name of the routine - it's what the routine contains that we are discussing ?

and FWIW you can't name it anything you want - some of the words are reserved