Echo & Alexa Forums

Alexa can't regonise any phrases for routines

crispygibbon

Alexa can't regonise any phrases for routines
« on: October 29, 2017, 04:49:14 am »
HI there,

A new echo owner here. I finally decided to get some Echos now that Alexa supports Routines.

However, whenever I try to add a routine from the alexa app, in the set up screen it says "alexa can't execute this response. Please choose another one"

Funnily enough it provides examples that I should try like "good morning", "good night" etc and none of these work .. I've tried random word combinations and I keep getting the same error.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

THanks

currently have a bunch of echo dots (2nd gen) with an echo plus on the way

StevenR

Re: Alexa can't regonise any phrases for routines
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2017, 07:57:52 am »
If you get that error when editing the routine and not when initially creating it, is seems that this is a false error (which goes away if you  change the phrase) and the routine should still work. Good Morning works fine for me. Good night didn't, but it was fine when I used Goodnight as one word.

There do appear to be a few phrases which you can't use at all, such as "what's the time". In those case it won't allow you to create the routine at all.

crispygibbon

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2017, 02:59:59 pm »
Thanks for your reply StevenR. It never worked from the beginning. I can save it but whenever I check it comes up with the same error message.

I'm in the UK - perhaps Routines feature is not ready in the UK..

Frustrating to say the least

StevenR

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2017, 03:43:28 pm »
I’m also in the UK and Good Morning is working fine for me, although it didn’t appear to initially. It appears to take a minute or two for it to start working after creating a routine, I think something needs to sync to the Echo devices.
The error message when you edit a routine seems like a bug, probably due to it checking if the phrase is already in use (to stop you replacing certain built in functionality or creating two routines with the same phrase) and finding that it is being used by the same routine you are editing. It doesn’t appear to stop you adding additional actions to the routine.

ChrisKey87

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2017, 10:32:47 am »
Is anyone here that is receiving that error also using Samsung SmartThings? The routines built into SmartThings are labeled the same as the routines in the Alexa (i.e. good morning, good night, etc.) so when Alexa does a scan for new scenes in the Smart Home tab, it automatically pulls in the routines from SmartThings, even if you have not set the SmartThings routines to do anything. So when you are trying to set up the routines in Alexa, Alexa cannot execute the routine because there is already an Alexa scene with the same name (the scenes that it scanned from SmartThings). Maybe go into your list of Scenes in the Alexa app and disable the SmartThings routines it picked up (Good Night!, Good Morning!). Maybe then Alexa can perform the routine since there would not be two scenes with the same name.

ericnrosesmom

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2017, 01:35:14 pm »
I'm in the USA and getting the same error message. I can trigger my routine by physically opening the app on my phone and selecting it, but can't do it by voice. I don't have smartthings at all.