Echo & Alexa Forums

power outages

pamlove

power outages
« on: December 13, 2015, 02:24:56 am »
My power goes out often, when it comes back on Echo turns on all of the connected lights.  Is there any way to prevent them from turning on automatically when power is restored?

mike27oct

Re: power outages
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2015, 04:00:34 am »
Power outages are infrequent where I live these days, but it happens enough that it freaks out some of my gizmos.  Most of the time they are momentary power blips of a few seconds, but enough to turn off/on and screw things up. 

So, I decided to put in and use a couple of small (and not too expensive) UPS devices to prevent power loss in some cases.  Not much can help an hour, day (or longer) outage, but these devices save the day for the occasional blip.  The ones I got were around $40 each, and can keep a small gizmo powered for 15-20 mins to prevent an off/on condition when power fluctuates once, or a few times briefly.  So, get one for your Echo to be plugged into.

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2015, 05:33:02 pm »
This only happens to me with tcp connected lights.  It's been doing it since I first purchased the lights a couple of years ago long before getting the echo.  I don't think there is anything you can do about it.   I did create a group with all the lights so I can turn them all off at once when it does happen

Offline jwlv

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2015, 04:13:00 pm »
Are you certain that Echo is turning on your devices after a power outage? I use Wemo and Blackloud devices and nothing happens after a blackout. Try turning off your Echo and then open/close a couple of circuit breakers in your house to simulate a blackout.