Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Joining multiroom audio

Hicksben359

Joining multiroom audio
« on: October 07, 2017, 04:27:49 am »
Hi all
Is there a command to get another echo to join in to multiroom audio?

For example - I am playing music on my living room echo and I want to then have my kitchen echo join in at the same point in the music.

I can't seem to find any command or instructions on how to do this

TIA

malliekm

Re: Joining multiroom audio
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2017, 09:20:03 am »
I tried that last week and couldn't get it to work.

joshsimpson79

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2017, 11:43:29 am »
The function is there now for me and I love it.  It may vary, depending on firmware updates and such, but you have to link which echos you want to sound at the same time and do the appropriate command.  It's nice to finally have this.

malliekm

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2017, 12:20:28 pm »
What is the appropriate command?  Maybe  that's what I was doing wrong.

joshsimpson79

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2017, 10:18:56 am »
What is the appropriate command?  Maybe  that's what I was doing wrong.

If I remember correctly, you go into your settings to "link" whichever devices you want and they list you some word options.  I chose "upstairs" as I have an echo in my basement and two upstairs... so I say, "alexa, play album x upstairs" and that has worked for me so far.  You can also create a custom words. I just looked at the app to confirm.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 10:23:49 am by joshsimpson79 »

Hicksben359

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2017, 10:31:16 am »
This has gone a bit down a different path, I'm familiar with the setup of multiroom groups and have a 'Downstairs' group setup with two devices.

What I'm interested in is whether you can have one device 'join in' if another is already playing, at the moment the only way to get a multiroom group to play is to start playing something new.

I'd see the flow to be something like..

Echo A playing from Amazon Music and is in the middle of a song
Echo B is asked to start playing as well - this activates the multiroom group and Echo B starts playing the same song/playlist that Echo A is playing

This might not be possible yet! was just interested if anyone knew if it did.

joshsimpson79

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2017, 10:53:15 am »
I tend to say no, but I haven't tried it yet.  When I go home at lunch, I will.

G704

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2017, 12:52:51 pm »
To add to this discussion, I'm curious if it works with Sonos. I know the new Sonos update allows Echo to control Sonos devices with voice control.
But can you link Echo and Sonos devices to play in multirooms?

G704

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2017, 03:11:01 pm »
No one tried or interested in this possible feature?

G704

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2017, 11:11:22 am »
Just in case someone else comes here looking for answers, the Sonos forum has a much larger discussion about it.

https://en.community.sonos.com/amazon-alexa-and-sonos-229102/new-to-sonos-or-alexa-how-to-set-up-6791327

malliekm

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2017, 03:18:58 pm »
I answered your original question.  It doesn't work to add a device to a multi-room group that is currently playing.  All the devices would have to be in a group.  If you're playing a group, you can't add a non-grouped device. 
If you have one device playing and ask another device to play the same song, it's going to start from the beginning.

G704

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2017, 04:31:19 pm »
I answered your original question.  It doesn't work to add a device to a multi-room group that is currently playing.  All the devices would have to be in a group.  If you're playing a group, you can't add a non-grouped device. 
If you have one device playing and ask another device to play the same song, it's going to start from the beginning.

???  I don't see where you mentioned Sonos at all.  You mentioned it didn't work for Echo.  But then JoshSimpson79 immediately followed up saying it worked for him.

malliekm

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2017, 05:57:09 pm »
You're right.  I thought you were the original poster to this thread.  Sorry.
So did you get it to work with the Sonos?

G704

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2017, 11:47:53 pm »
I doesn't seem to work.  It will control both systems at the same time.  But it won't play the same music at the same time.