Echo & Alexa Forums

Echo on the Echo

Gmfurry

Echo on the Echo
« on: October 17, 2017, 02:02:12 pm »
It's great that the intercom and Drop in function has finally been enabled in the uk, and I have got it to work (yay!), but the echo when calling between Dot and Echo makes it almost unusable.
It plays up my voice through the Dot then picks it up and feeds it back (with a few seconds delay) to the Echo, so it's a bit like making a satellite call to Mars...

Is there any way to stop this happening?

malliekm

Re: Echo on the Echo
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2017, 02:31:09 pm »
Out here in the boonies of east Texas my intercom/drop in calling IS via satellite.  If my spoken word has to go thru my internet provider, that's a 44,000 mile round trip :o  So yeah, there is a couple second delay.  I'd like to experience how Alexa sounds (with the Drop In feature and Alexa to Alexa calling feature) in an urban setting.  What kind of internet do you have?  How fast are your commands implemented or questions answered?  If I ask Alexa to turn on the fan (I just did) it takes 4.5 seconds.  I asked "what time is it?"  She took 5 seconds to reply.

Gmfurry

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2017, 06:11:02 pm »
Mine is over UK rural broadband, 'superfast' FTTC, which when you're this far from the cabinet means on a good day 9-10Mb, and Alexa normally responds quickly.  I just asked her the time and she answered immediately, maybe a half second delay, but that just seems polite ;-)

It's not really the delay that is disconcerting, it's the hearing what I've just said repeated, usually just as I've started another sentence. Hey ho, I'll just have to restrict my conversations to "dinner's ready" and walk upstairs if I need to say more!

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2017, 12:18:29 pm »
Mine is over UK rural broadband, 'superfast' FTTC, which when you're this far from the cabinet means on a good day 9-10Mb, and Alexa normally responds quickly.  I just asked her the time and she answered immediately, maybe a half second delay, but that just seems polite ;-)

It's this Gold Standard whey protein review and not really the delay that is disconcerting, it's the hearing what I've just said repeated, usually just as I've started another sentence. Hey ho, I'll just have to restrict my conversations to "dinner's ready" and walk upstairs if I need to say more!

That's kind of annoying. I wish there was a solution to get rid of the echo.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2022, 06:55:24 am by RobertFi »