Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Importing contacts without smartphone?

Katers

Importing contacts without smartphone?
« on: October 13, 2017, 08:49:03 pm »
Hi,  I got an Echo Dot for my mom to use to message my cousin or myself if she needs anything.  She does not have a smartphone or a computer, but I am using my iPad Mini for her app and I got her an Amazon account.

I thought there would be a way to import contacts through the main account or the app, but I am not finding anything.  Does anyone know how to do this?  It doesn't seem likely that the only way is through a smartphone.  If it is, I can't have hers on my phone because it would conflict with my own Echos.

iolinux333

Re: Importing contacts without smartphone?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2017, 08:15:19 pm »
Maybe buy a cheap used Android phone somewhere for $30 (make sure it can run the Alexa app) and use that?

asianrocker

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2017, 09:47:16 pm »
She does not have a tablet either? As far as I know, you can call anyone that has alexa app in phones, tablet or PC. If she has a tablet you are all better off using viber, LOL.

Viber works exactly like echo to echo calling. The MAIN difference, it only needs internet connection. For what you want, you need to have cellular connection aka phone subscription as far as I know.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 10:18:54 pm by asianrocker »

Katers

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2017, 09:13:04 am »
I gave her an iPad Mini.  I thought that would be enough.

GA

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2017, 11:18:43 am »
You will need a smartphone to use calling and messaging, and voice profiles. The smartphone, if Android, must be a 5 or greater to work. You will not be able to set up calling and messaging or voice profiles without the smartphone. So, if you plan on getting an Echo for your parents or grandparents, thinking this will be a great way to stay connected, you will also have to include the cost of a cell phone and cell phone plan to get this to do what you want. It is not like Skype. You can get a cheap cell phone, but make sure it has the OS required. A tablet will not do for calling and messaging, and setting up voice profiles. The Alexa app will work, but those parts of the app will not.  I think Amazon should indicate that a smartphone is needed when purchasing the Echo.

7oaks

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2017, 07:27:01 am »
GA
I think that you are right that the instructions are not as clear as they might be (although I think that they have been updated slightly to try to make this clearer). They do now say that a compatible iOS or Android phone is required to "complete sign up". I think that it may be more basic than that as the Alexa app on the Fire does not support Calling and I gather there are no intentions to do so. I had thought that once my Fire and Echo had the latest upgrades I could then use my non Android phone to complete set up. Arguably Fire OS is an Android variant. My phone is rather old, a classic! and is not compatible. I imagine that Calling will not work on a Fire phone or a Windows phone either.
Why does Amazon require non Amazon devices to enable the system? I think that their help pages could make this clearer still.