Echo & Alexa Forums

google mini getting recalled?????

google mini getting recalled?????
« on: October 16, 2017, 04:46:06 am »
look like some consumer groups are trying to get google mini recalled because of privacy concerns. 

https://www.androidheadlines.com/2017/10/consumer-privacy-groups-seek-google-home-mini-us-recall.html

Ten consumer and privacy groups are officially requesting a recall of the Google Home Mini. The letter has been co-signed and submitted to the US Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) by a number of groups including the Electronic Privacy Information Center (EPIC), the Consumer Federation of America (CFA), and the Center for Digital Democracy (CDD) requesting that the CPSC undertakes a recall of the Google Home Mini in the US.

malliekm

Re: google mini getting recalled?????
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2017, 01:31:06 pm »
More Amazon puppets!  ;D  Srsly, anyone with any AI that doesn't think it has the ability to listen when not prompted needs a reality check.  Web cams, TVs and smart phones can record without you knowing it.  I'm sure some cars   can as well.  Some day we may need to hide under the covers and use paper and pencil to communicate...then be sure and burn the paper!   I hope I get mine before they're recalled  ;) 

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2017, 02:43:25 pm »
More Amazon puppets!  ;D  Srsly, anyone with any AI that doesn't think it has the ability to listen when not prompted needs a reality check.  Web cams, TVs and smart phones can record without you knowing it.  I'm sure some cars   can as well.  Some day we may need to hide under the covers and use paper and pencil to communicate...then be sure and burn the paper!   I hope I get mine before they're recalled  ;) 

thus saith the local google shill  ;-P  just wanted a chance to say that  :-P

I actually agree with you on this.  any ai device can be set to record all conversation with a few lines of code in an update or hack.  onstar in cars have been used by the authorities, in the past to spy on suspects.   baby monitors have been hacked to record video and conversations. the same with webcams and that video camera on most laptops.    but...

I think the big difference is in this case, the device comes with the flaw already there. Those affected will already be recording everything.  I doubt google will open all the boxes that have already been through the manufacturing process and fix that flaw voluntarily.  they will update it once the mini is installed after purchase and that is the problem.   It could be recording everything said until that update is installed and most users will not know this. 

malliekm

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2017, 02:56:53 pm »
A Google shill LOL  Hey, I just call it like I see it ;)
I could be confused about how I thought Google handled the problem.
I read they've disabled the top "tap" feature to activate the device until/if they
fix the issue.

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2017, 03:21:59 pm »
A Google shill LOL  Hey, I just call it like I see it ;)
I could be confused about how I thought Google handled the problem.
I read they've disabled the top "tap" feature to activate the device until/if they
fix the issue.

they fixed the flaw but I really have not found anything that specifically said when the fix will update - before or after the home install.   they did say preorders will not be affected but again, they did not specifically say if the flaw will be fixed before or after the home install - it could be a play on words.  It is to the point I really do not trust anything big business say anymore.  They say one thing but it is really something else.