Echo & Alexa Forums

2 homes - connecting SmartThings

Kfiore

2 homes - connecting SmartThings
« on: October 15, 2017, 08:54:36 am »
Help! Trying to connect echo dot to Samsung SmartThings Connect. We have 2 homes/2 hubs and when selecting the desired home/hub from the drop down, it discovers the devises for the other home. Huh?  Can't get it to discover the devices for the desired home. Help!!!???!!!

Re: 2 homes - connecting SmartThings
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2017, 09:03:00 am »
Setup 2 Amazon Alexa accounts
use one account for each house Using the same account for both locations has its advantages but also can have disadvantaes as you've found out.
I suspect you'll need two different SmartThings accounts as well.

Kfiore

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2017, 09:11:24 am »
Thanks tuicemen- I did set up 2 Alexa accounts but didn't want 2 SmartThings accounts as we use the app frequently. It's odd that when trying to connect, Alexa recognizes that there are 2 separate hubs, but will only connect to one, regardless of the hub you choose.

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2017, 09:33:46 am »
I have two homes as well but don't use a Smartthings hub.
I have two dots at one home and just one at the other.
Where I have two dots one was setup initially where the single dot is (using one account) so it sees and controls devices in both places.
The other dot (different account) only sees/controls devices at that location (it was never setup at the other house).
If both accounts and hubs were initially setup in one house then moved to the second house that would account for Alexa seeing both hubs but only connecting to one.
Amazon remembers IPs  associated with each device so you may need to forget the device then reconfigure from the house you intend to use it in.
I'm guessing here but you may also need to do that for the hub ::)

Kfiore

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2017, 10:00:14 am »
Bother hubs and Alexas were set up separately, so that isn't the cause...

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2017, 10:11:45 am »
You may need to call SmartThings.
Alexa shouldn't see devices which are not on the same IP it is configured to.
If your using the same IP then it would be expected that Alexa sees both hubs and is getting confused