Echo & Alexa Forums

Echo plus

Chris

Echo plus
« on: October 12, 2017, 02:14:00 pm »
My information is that the built in hub is Zigbbee only..
Question, seems it wil be cheaper to use my present echo dot and add a Smarthings hub which handles both Zigby and Zwave.

So should make home. Automation easier.

Am I correct ?

asianrocker

Re: Echo plus
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2017, 05:59:33 pm »
Yes they use zigbee, but if you think it's cheaper the way you want. Then do it. LOL. Don't be like most people here who thinks they have to own ALL the new echo gadgets.

Personally, I would be happy with the echo plus. But I already own the jurassic echo so it makes me sad. Coz I am not rolling in money like most people here seem to.

Chris

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2017, 01:33:23 am »
Thanks. Seems I am on the right track here.
Forgetting the price point for now, the Smarthings hub will thus open the possibility of many more products for automation being available?

Strange world. Cannot understand why Amazon did not build in a Zwave antenna at the same time?

Offline kevb

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2017, 08:05:04 am »
I would use some type of smart hub for automation. I personally have a VeraPlus, but Smartthings is good from what I hear. HomeSeer is another step up. These hubs not only have multiple radios (zwave, zigbee, etc.) they also have the ability to set up and run logic, schedules etc for true automation. Even with the zigbee radio, the Echo is just a voice activated remote control when it comes to "smart home control". And, not all zigbee is the same- there are different protocols, so some zigbee items do not work with others.

asianrocker

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2017, 09:20:31 am »
This is just my theory but I believe hub will function like wifi is now. Does not matter what hub you have but as long as you have it, you can control any smart home automation in the future, does not matter what brand you have. Just my guess. Since reading about it, hubs are like as one poster said 'radio' much like wifi. Ya know? It's evident with those bulbs that does not need hub.

Well reading more about hubs, it's basically a repeater. I have a repeater, I wonder if I can use it as hub for my echo? Hmmm.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 09:39:10 am by asianrocker »

Offline kevb

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2017, 09:37:52 am »
They are not just radio. Most hubs (Vera, Smartthings, Homeseer, Wink, etc.) run software that can control various devices via many protocols using whatever radios they have installed. Some devices use Zwave (a standardized protocol at a specific frequency), Zigbee (different protocol, different frequency, not so standardized, can be proprietary), BT or wifi. The hub runs a program that can automate (not just control) many functions of the house. These hubs also work with Echo to control the devices via voice. Note that the Philips hub is very limited; it is mostly a (formerly?) proprietary radio to control Hue bulbs. The zigbee radio in the Echo Plus allows it to directly control compatible zigbee devices, and not all zigbee devices are compatible with each other.

asianrocker

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2017, 09:43:21 am »
Honestly networking is not my expertise but as I said earlier reading about hubs, it's basically a repeater. Personally I don't think you need to buy a separate hub. From my own understanding. But it's just me, but hey it's their money and they can buy whatever they want for their home automation.

Offline kevb

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2017, 10:07:38 am »
I have a smart home hub. It is not a repeater. For automation, you need a smart home hub (or computer) as I described earlier. You are not helping the OP regarding automation. And for the OP, regardless of the route you take, automation is always expensive. There is no cheap way. The hub is the least of your expenses, trust me. I've had a "smart" home for 20 years, going back to X-10.

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2017, 10:55:52 am »
The hub is the least of your expenses, trust me. I've had a "smart" home for 20 years, going back to X-10.
I still use X10 with well over 75% of my automation. ;) why change a working setup?
This doesn't mean I don't have or use other protocols
As for Hubs they do repeat a command however they take the Wi-Fi signal and convert it to the protocol of the HA device compatible with it, so they aren't just a repeater.
This means one needs to think about what protocol they are intending on using or by multiple hubs.

I've yet to pick up a hub but have one in a sense using my PC with HA-Bridge which will handle any protocol your PC can talk to. To the OP: this is probably the cheapest route to go! ;)

Offline kevb

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2017, 11:51:26 am »
X-10 was great for me, but over the years due to some reason the electrical lines "softened" or whatever it was called, so signals were dampened and communication became unreliable. I went to zwave. I also use the HA-bridge, it's a great piece of software!

asianrocker

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2017, 03:59:32 pm »

I've yet to pick up a hub but have one in a sense using my PC with HA-Bridge which will handle any protocol your PC can talk to. To the OP: this is probably the cheapest route to go! ;)

This is exactly what I meant but obviously this is for people who knows what they are doing. I did read your thread about it. I know software and still don't want to try it just yet.

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2017, 04:52:52 pm »

This is exactly what I meant but obviously this is for people who knows what they are doing. I did read your thread about it. I know software and still don't want to try it just yet.
The HA-bridge does take a bit of trial and error to get working but it is a very powerful piece of software, thankfully there is a place to post questions for help with it.
https://github.com/bwssytems/ha-bridge/issues
 ;)