Echo & Alexa Forums

Echo strange behaviior - self reboot

Offline jwlv

Echo strange behaviior - self reboot
« on: October 11, 2017, 02:34:42 am »
Tonight I asked my Echo (full sized model) to play a local radio station. It started playing for a few seconds and then went silent for several seconds. It continued to play for a few more seconds followed by several more seconds of silence. It did this about 4 or 5 times and then went completely silent for about a minute. Then I saw that the blue light ring was spinning and I heard the normal startup tone and it said "Hello" like it just booted up.

I just wanted to report this strange behavior. For whatever reason, the Echo decided to reboot itself. After that, the radio station played just fine.

Maybe it's a new thing that Amazon is doing, having the Echo check itself for problems and then rebooting itself. Pretty cool if that's what they intended.

Re: Echo strange behaviior - self reboot
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2017, 05:14:53 am »
sounds like it could have been an update

joshsimpson79

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 10:54:05 am »
sounds like it could have been an update

Seems like an update to me too, though I thought they said updates happen when the Echo isn't busy.  But who knows?

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 07:30:49 pm »
I would think it would also update when "not busy" but I also think it *should* do it while everyone is awake, so no one wakes up and shoots the damn thing... Updates are should also be announced and a "Continue" word or phrase should be expected or... within a predetermined time line, it should carry on as if no one is around. I think a time frame should be an option that users should define, by describing the user Work/sleep schedule in the profile or settings somewhere.
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2017, 10:54:44 am »
I think a time frame should be an option that users should define, by describing the user Work/sleep schedule in the profile or settings somewhere.
I like that idea ;)