Echo & Alexa Forums

Amazon Echo won't set up after reset / Amazon-xxx asking for a password

jtomalley

My first-gen Echo was having trouble with the new calling features, and Amazon Help told me to reset the device and re-set it up as a new device.

After resetting (paper clip in the little hole) I went to set up on my Alexa app, and verything went swimmingly until I got to ""Go to your wifi settings on this iPhone and select the network of the format "Amazon-xxx". I did that, found "Amazon-XXX" and clicked on it, and I got THIS (NOTE - there was no lock icon in front of this network name)

For some reason I cannot post my screenshot, so it was a window saying "Enter the password for "Amazon-xxx""

How can my newly-reset and deregistered Amazon Echo require a password to get set up? HELP.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 09:25:41 pm by jtomalley »

Re: Amazon Echo won't set up after reset / Amazon-xxx asking for a password
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2017, 05:15:41 am »
it has to access your wifi and I am pretty sure you have a password for your router.  it will have to know the ssid (network) and security key (password)

strayfish

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2017, 05:54:05 am »
From what I remember of Setup, you click on the amazon-xxx network (unlocked because it's local) to make it recognisable by your home network and router, then you enter your router password to give it permission to join. It saves that so you don't have to keep doing it. I've done all of that from the app - switching back and forth from that to Settings<wifi - and it hasn't been a problem, although that amazon-xxx thing baffled me completely at first.

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2017, 06:16:47 am »
just to clarify, the router password is NOT the password to access the router settings.  it is the password you use to access the wifi.  same one you used when you setup your phone, gaming console, smart home devices, streaming devices and more. 

strayfish

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2017, 08:02:56 am »
just to clarify, the router password is NOT the password to access the router settings.  it is the password you use to access the wifi.  same one you used when you setup your phone, gaming console, smart home devices, streaming devices and more. 

What Renegade said. Sorry to confuse :)

jtomalley

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2017, 01:57:19 pm »
Folks, you all don't quite understand. It's the actual Echo device asking for a password. I need to connect my iPhone/iPad to the Echo device in order to tell it which wireless network it needs. The network and router passwords are useless because I am not trying to connect to those (yet), I am trying to connect to the actual device itself. I have tried my network password, my router password, my Amazon account password... nothing works.

According to Amazon Help, that should not be happening. The device was hard reset to "new device" status, and when I see "Amazon-XXX" in the list of wireless 'networks' it does not have a lock icon in front of it. It's only when I click on it that it says I need a password.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 11:11:17 am by jtomalley »

jtomalley

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2017, 01:47:25 pm »
*** UPDATE ***

I discovered the issue. I was trying to reconnect Echo in my office. After some poking around, it appears that the security protocols on our wireless access point was causing this issue. I took my Echo home and got it connected to my home wifi without any problems, and got it re-registered to my account.

When I brought it back to my office this morning, it automatically connected to my office wifi without me having to do anything at all.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 02:01:20 pm by jtomalley »