Echo & Alexa Forums

Dialing regular phones

Kaprice

Dialing regular phones
« on: September 27, 2017, 09:40:26 pm »
I have the first gen echo and an update Alexa app on my phone.

I set up calling, gave it a Google Voice #, and entered the verification code.

In the Alexa app, I'm still only seeing contacts that also have the Alexa app. I don't see any way to add my phone's contacts to Alexa. And my Echo tells me it can't dial phone numbers.

How do I get around all that?

malliekm

Re: Dialing regular phones
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2017, 09:44:31 pm »
I don't think you can.  Right now Alexa only calls other people in your contacts that have Alexas.  Very soon you'll be able to call cell and landlines.

zroger73

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2017, 10:41:55 am »
Very soon you'll be able to call cell and landlines.

As soon as yesterday, actually. :)

Yesterday evening, I placed a call by saying "Alexa, call XXX XXX XXXX" to a landline that was not in my phone's contact list. I also didn't have to give it a number or go through any type of setup - it just worked.

malliekm

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2017, 12:54:12 pm »
That was quick  ;)  I just tried it but the person I called said I was breaking up.  Just like with my GH, I could hear them perfectly but on their end, not so much.

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2017, 05:56:39 pm »
you are right, it was quick.  just tried it on my dot and the call went through.  surprised the update was so quick.  wonder if it was done before the announcement :-)

malliekm

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2017, 07:01:59 pm »
you are right, it was quick.  just tried it on my dot and the call went through.  surprised the update was so quick.  wonder if it was done before the announcement :-)

How was the call quality on the other end?

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2017, 04:18:40 am »

How was the call quality on the other end?

it was my luck nobody answered  :-(

johnfalc

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2017, 04:02:16 pm »
I've used it with a few numbers and those I called reported excellent call quality.  It sounded great on my end from the Echo I called from.