Echo & Alexa Forums

"Alexa" can turn on your TV with the Harmony Hub and IFTTT

kaponed24

Re: "Alexa" can turn on your TV with the Harmony Hub and IFTTT
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2016, 03:56:00 pm »
@jwlv... how did you get the harmony hub to change channels for you? I was only able to get the tv, dvd plyer to turn on/off. I don't see how you can create an activity in the harmony app to let you change channel, please explain.

Offline jwlv

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2016, 05:25:46 pm »
@jwlv... how did you get the harmony hub to change channels for you? I was only able to get the tv, dvd plyer to turn on/off. I don't see how you can create an activity in the harmony app to let you change channel, please explain.

Because I've already returned the Harmony Hub, I can only tell you from memory what I did to change channels. My memory might not be 100% accurate.

But from what I remember, I set up several activities. For example, i have an activity to press 13.1 <enter> on the remote. I named it "channel 13". In IFTTT, I created a recipe that's linked up to Alexa & Harmony. The IF part is the Alexa, with the phrase "change to channel 13". The THEN part is to invoke the action "channel 13" in Harmony. While I was setting this up, I noticed that whatever I created in Harmony may take a few minutes to show up in ITFFF.
The end result is, when I say, "Alexa, trigger change to channel 13" it makes the remote press 13.1<enter>

I also have a "channel up" and "channel down" activities. But those didn't work as well because if I wanted to press channel up multiple times, (in my area channel 5.1 to 13.1 would go thru about 6 more channels), it completely ignores all of the "channel up" commands except for the very first one. Same with "volume up" and "volume down".

Offline kevb

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2016, 09:53:23 am »
That's how I did it. I set up an activity to press the channel number buttons (i.e., press 8, press 6, press 5) and named the activity "ESPN". Then I set this up in IFTTT. I then say "Alexa, trigger ESPN" and it will change the channel. I set up an activity for a few favorite channels. This is really only convenient for me if I'm doing something else and want the TV on. If I'm on the couch, I use the remote. Word of warning- if I turn the tv on with the hub / alexa, then shut the TV off with my Tivo Remote, (I don't have the harmony remote, just the hub) the hub doesn't know the tv is off. So if I then say "Trigger TV on", nothing happens as the hub thinks the tv is still on. I then tell alexa (or use the harmony app) to shut the tv off, then turn on. Hope this helps.

Jason13470

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2016, 03:42:09 pm »
Good to hear on the Harmony/IFTTT - Anyone try this with Blumoo or Anymote - they're both supposed to have dedicated skills for remote control activities?  I'm more interested in a direct skill than having to use IFTTT limitations for control if possible...?  Any familiarity?
Blumoo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gef38RoT_JI
Anymote: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5zrpovXark

lennyp

« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2016, 12:49:39 pm »
  Those look like interesting options over the harmony hub.  However, "Alexa, tell Blumoo to press ________" is a mouthful for simple button commands.  I think I would find that quite annoying.

Maff

« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2016, 07:58:23 pm »
You can use ifttt without any limitations with a Harmony remote. The process is a little techy though. There is an android app called tasker, which is used to automate pretty much anything on an android device. You can also get a plugin for this called "harmony tasker" which can send button presses via wifi to a Harmony hub for any ir device without needing to go through an activity. I set up alexa ifttt commands, but set them to send a pushbullet notification to my phone to act as a trigger for tasker. As I said its for technical tinkerers only, but I can now say "Alexa trigger volume up/channel up/pause/play and also set sequences to automatically skip through ad breaks now too. Good when you've got your hands in the sink or something. Not too much delay with ifttt on this.

Offline jwlv

« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2016, 04:37:40 am »
Just saw on http://www.AntiRebate.com that the Harmony Hub with Smart Control is on sale again for $66.50 - 10% off = $59.85 at http://www.wirelessoemshop.com/logitech-harmony-smart-control-with-smartphone-app-and-simple-remote
Use coupon code: 10off to get 10% off.
Note: I have never bought anything from wirelessoemshop.com so I don't know how reputable they are.

BJBrian

« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2016, 10:13:19 pm »
I don't think just supplying electricity to a modern TV wouldn't work. I'm new to the Echo, loving it, and now seeking automation guidance. I'm looking into lights, how exciting!
I have Wink switches for appliances.  Would one work to turn on power to my TV?  Thx

949BFN

« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2016, 11:20:12 am »
You can also get a plugin for this called "harmony tasker" which can send button presses via wifi to a Harmony hub for any ir device without needing to go through an activity.

Would you mind to briefly explain how you do this? I have done a few things with Tasker and the Harmony Plugin, also with Alexa and the Autoremote remote plugin for Tasker, but I can't imagine how you accomplished this. My understanding is that you use this to change channels and volume via the Harmony Hub (as opposed to changing Activities, which is fairly easy to to.)

Thanks in advance.

Maff

« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2016, 05:48:56 pm »
Yes, no problem. I created an IFTTT trigger command for alexa, and it results in a pushbullet link being sent from IFTTT and is picked up by the pushbullet app on my android tablet. You can set this resulting link notification as a tasker trigger, which sets of a task which uses harmony tasker plugin to do a Harmony command (a specific non activity button press, ie a tv channel up button or a sky menu etc).

The pushbullet link can be anything you choose, the pushbullet plugin simply looks for a recognised text string in a notification. I set the pushbullet command to delete the notification after receiving it, so you don't have to swipe anything away after the notification has done it's job.

I find pushbullet IFTTT links very fast, so much faster than other channels, I have pretty much given up on commands which control things like hue bulbs etc also. It's quicker to just pushbullet it to my tablet & have a tasker task plugin control whatever smart device. You get a lot more fine control that way too.

I hope that is is some way clear.. As mud!

If you get stuck on any particular part please do ask.

gcnes

Re: &quot;Alexa&quot; can turn on your TV with the Harmony Hub and IFTTT
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2016, 03:18:13 pm »
Cool can you change channels?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kelleytoons

« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2016, 03:24:56 pm »
Um, you don't need to use IFTTT for this anymore.

With the integration now in Echo you can just link to your Harmony device.  Then it will find all the commands you have created there (including changing channels, if that's what you want) and just tell Alexa what you want (I say "Lexa, turn on Kitchen TV", or "Lexa, turn on Bedroom Netflix" for example).

Offline kevb

« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2016, 05:39:38 pm »
Um, you don't need to use IFTTT for this anymore.

With the integration now in Echo you can just link to your Harmony device.  Then it will find all the commands you have created there (including changing channels, if that's what you want) and just tell Alexa what you want (I say "Lexa, turn on Kitchen TV", or "Lexa, turn on Bedroom Netflix" for example).

Are you linking them directly, or going through SmartThings or another hub/ emulator? I'm currently using a Hue emulator but would be interested in a direct link if one is available.

Kelleytoons

« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2016, 07:03:19 am »
I'm going through Smartthings hub -- sorry, should have specified (all my stuff is through Smartthings and sometimes I forget which forum I'm on, as most of the time I'm on the ST forum talking about Echo, rather than vice versa).

But it's just SO much easier than trying to write IFTTT stuff -- I just connect to the Harmony hubs and whatever routines I've programmed there show up in ST and I can create simple one word commands to have Lexa do them (like "Lexa turn on Movie" which then turns on my theater stereo system, my media player, my projector and sets all to the appropriate channels for our movie night.  Not to mention dimming the lights and making sure the doors are all locked).

I have three Harmony hubs to control three different receiver/TV setups so I never have to touch a remote to get things set up (I actually don't have to touch a remote after that, but I usually use my TiVo to fast forward through commercials.  Hmmm, perhaps I'll program a voice command for that as well :>).

Offline kevb

« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2016, 07:26:34 am »
Thanks for the info. I used to use IFTTT, but I have a VeraPlus hub, and someone wrote a Hue emulator to allow the Echo-->Vera-->Harmony connection, similar to your SmartThings connection. I have a Tivo as well, the "skip" button is great!