Echo & Alexa Forums

First Second Or So of Sound Is Cut Off Via Bluetooth

jgtidwell

First Second Or So of Sound Is Cut Off Via Bluetooth
« on: September 25, 2017, 12:59:05 pm »
Hi All

I've recently purchased an RCA home theater with Bluetooth connectivity. I've successfully paired my Echo Dot to the system, but something odd is happening. If the Dot is awakened from a cold state (that is not already active doing some other task like playing music), the first second of audio, usually Alexa's response, gets cut off. For example, if the Dot is asleep and I say "Alexa, play thumbprint radio." The response I hear is, "umbrpint radio from your Pandora account" instead of "Opening thumbprint radio from your Pandora account."

I assume this issue is due to the receiver going into an auto standby when there is silence on the Bluetooth channel, and then lagging when the channel is active again. I've tried activating the Start of Request tone to see if that would kick start to stream enough to keep the response from being cut off, but that didn't seem to help.

Has anyone else had this issue and found a solution? I asked this same question in another forum and was actually told that the Dot sends a constant stream of 0s over the Bluetooth channel when there isn't any actual sound to be streamed in order to try and trick the receiver into staying active, but this trick doesn't work with all devices. I had a thought that a skill or some other option to have the Dot send a constant, inaudible tone to the receiver when there is no other sound, might be another way to solve this issue. 

mike27oct

Re: First Second Or So of Sound Is Cut Off Via Bluetooth
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2017, 01:28:41 pm »
You need to determine if the issue is with the Dot or the BT receiver.  So, does the Dot exhibit this behavior when it is not connected to BT receiver or only when connected to BT device?  My guess is the latter.  The BT does not react soon as signal hits it, and therefore issue is with RCA device.  Try with another BT speaker if you have one.

The comment about Dot sending zeros it likely a lot of hooey.  It just sends the BT carrier RF signal without any audio sub carrier if audio signal is not present.

Learn to live with the RCA device or get a different brand.

Offline jwlv

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2017, 04:51:14 pm »
That sounds like the RCA receiver waking up from sleep mode.

Offline kevb

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2017, 10:24:00 pm »
You could say "Echo, hello" then when echo says "Hello" it will wake up the speaker, though you might not hear "her" say it. Then tell it what you want it to do.

mike27oct

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2017, 02:06:21 am »
Above might just work, although be sure you use the right wake word for your device.

asianrocker

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2017, 10:37:46 am »
Personally it would not bother me. Some people don't like Alexa to even acknowledge the command and just do it. The OP wants a complete sentence. I mean what does an AI have to do to please you people.  ;D

jgtidwell

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2017, 09:19:04 pm »
Haha! My taxes?