Echo & Alexa Forums

Echo continually rebooting

superdave67

Echo continually rebooting
« on: September 25, 2017, 03:57:51 pm »
One of the Echo Dots (I have two) seems to be continually rebooting (my other Echo Dot works fine).  I plug it in, and the blue ring lights up (although it lights up rather glitchy... popping from a dim blue to a bright blue within a fraction of a second), then the light blue (cyan?) segment spins around about one and half times, then seems to reboot (blue light goes off)... then starting all over again... and again... over and over.

I've tried resetting it (mic off/vol down), but it doesn't ever seem to register the action.  It just keeps rebooting while I've got the two buttons pressed (held it down for over 20 seconds).  And the Amazon app shows it as offline. 

I've also De-registered it, but no matter what I try, it keeps rebooting.

Any ideas on this?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-w80_NRGwVTVkwzQmVGckY4T2M/view?usp=sharing.

Thanks all,
Dave

superdave67

Re: Echo continually rebooting
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2017, 04:00:49 pm »
I'm also using the USB plug that came with it, and the WiFi router is within 10 feet of the Dot.  It has been working just fine for months, until recently, when all this started.

superdave67

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2017, 04:05:36 pm »
And just now, tried my iPad USB charger, as it has more power output than most others.

malliekm

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2017, 04:26:55 pm »
Can you return it for an exchange?  Even if it's been longer than that allotted time, doesn't hurt to try :)

superdave67

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2017, 04:36:25 pm »
Can you return it for an exchange?  Even if it's been longer than that allotted time, doesn't hurt to try :)

That's my next route, if this post doesn't get me anywhere with it.

Offline jwlv

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2017, 04:49:38 pm »
I'm also using the USB plug that came with it, and the WiFi router is within 10 feet of the Dot.  It has been working just fine for months, until recently, when all this started.

Power supplies eventually do burn out or become less efficient. If you have another USB power supply of equal or greater amperage, I suggest trying it out. Power supplies for an iPad, Kindle/Fire Tablet, or Fire TV Stick should all be sufficient. If not, contact Amazon and they'll probably send you a new USB power supply for free if your Dot is still under warranty.

superdave67

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2017, 05:20:08 pm »

Power supplies eventually do burn out or become less efficient. If you have another USB power supply of equal or greater amperage, I suggest trying it out. Power supplies for an iPad, Kindle/Fire Tablet, or Fire TV Stick should all be sufficient. If not, contact Amazon and they'll probably send you a new USB power supply for free if your Dot is still under warranty.

Yep, I've tried four different USB chargers.  One was from my other working Echo Dot, as well as the one from my iPad... nothing seems to help.  Also tried various cables.

Just got off the phone with Amazon, and they're going to warranty replace it, even though I bought it over a month ago.  Amazon support is awesome.

malliekm

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2017, 06:24:02 pm »
I love it when companies step up and go the extra mile for their customers

asianrocker

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2017, 02:12:26 pm »
Why be surprised with replacement when it's only been a month. 1 year warranty is standard. You do know the replacement are refurbished right?

But agree about companies issuing replacement albeit refurbished. Better than none working one.