Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Is the new Fire HD10 a Show killer?

k9kids

Re: Is the new Fire HD10 a Show killer?
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2017, 09:56:07 pm »
I was interested in that tablet as a first step into the Android ecosystem (I own a Windows phone and am often missing apps) until I learned that FireOS does not allow access to the full Google Playstore or your Google account and that their Silk browser is disappointing  :-\
Sure you can sideload Chrome easily but cannot login into your Google account.
Oh well, this might not be the tablet for me.

I have the Google Play Store side-loaded on both Fire HD tablets. Chrome, Gmail etc all work perfectly.

Very common add-on.

malliekm

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2017, 10:20:59 pm »
For those that are propping up your cell phone or tablet while following a recipe, behold ;)
I have one in the bathroom, one in the bedroom and one in the kitchen.  They're $4 on Amazon.
They hold phones and tablets.  I have a 10.1" Galaxy Note and set it on the stand in landscape
mode.  Set the screen to never time out and your recipe won't turn off.

Laurel

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2017, 10:51:55 am »
Malliek nice stands.  However, I love the table model retro look of the Show.  I have a replica old bedside radio with knobs. lol  I find all the phones and tablets way too modern for me to have any real feeling for i.e. wouldn't save my Note 8 in a drawer somewhere to reminiscence about.  I guess I like the nostalgia of days of yore.  I am the gal that bought a Blackberry Keyone android cellphone for the physical keyboard lol.  Hubby is the ipad pro, iphone guy in the house and he doesn't cook.

Jerome

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2017, 12:55:37 pm »
I was interested in that tablet as a first step into the Android ecosystem (I own a Windows phone and am often missing apps) until I learned that FireOS does not allow access to the full Google Playstore or your Google account and that their Silk browser is disappointing  :-\
Sure you can sideload Chrome easily but cannot login into your Google account.
Oh well, this might not be the tablet for me.

I have the Google Play Store side-loaded on both Fire HD tablets. Chrome, Gmail etc all work perfectly.

Very common add-on.
Hey, good to know!
Just found that link How to Install the Google Play Store on the Amazon Fire Tablet or Fire HD 8
I might reconsider then  ;)

malliekm

« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2017, 04:54:05 pm »
Malliek nice stands.  However, I love the table model retro look of the Show.  I have a replica old bedside radio with knobs. lol  I find all the phones and tablets way too modern for me to have any real feeling for i.e. wouldn't save my Note 8 in a drawer somewhere to reminiscence about.  I guess I like the nostalgia of days of yore.  I am the gal that bought a Blackberry Keyone android cellphone for the physical keyboard lol.  Hubby is the ipad pro, iphone guy in the house and he doesn't cook.

I'm not a retro fan but my daughter sure is.  They just built a Southern Living coastal farm house and EVERYthing in it is old.  She bought everything from estate sales, garage sales, auctions.  Doors are 100+ years old :o  All the phones in the house are these old desk rotary dial phones.  Some she left black and some she painted.  It's like stepping back in time to walk into her house.

Laurel

« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2017, 06:51:15 pm »
Malliekm I would love her home!  I love the old things. My garden is very pretty with lots of the old time shrubs and perennials. I have to limit my retro taste in the house due to my husband who is modern all the way.  But now days one can be quite eclectic with decorating so the house looks fine with a mix.

Jerome

« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2017, 02:43:33 am »
I know the Fire HD10 will have Alexa built-in but apart from that, why would you consider that tablet which is Amazon-oriented with a crippled Android OS (ie FireOS) over a "regular" Android tablet (such a Galaxy Tab) where you could install the Amazon services if needed?
Does the Fire HD10 have a better price/specs ratio than others ?
Trying to understand why all the fuss, thanks  ;)

coyote

« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2017, 11:17:30 am »
If the Fire tabletlacks a good mic array, Show will be fine.

« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2017, 11:40:42 am »
I know the Fire HD10 will have Alexa built-in but apart from that, why would you consider that tablet which is Amazon-oriented with a crippled Android OS (ie FireOS) over a "regular" Android tablet (such a Galaxy Tab) where you could install the Amazon services if needed?
Does the Fire HD10 have a better price/specs ratio than others ?
Trying to understand why all the fuss, thanks  ;)

Just my opinion here, but The Fire Tablet is CHEAP and the Samsung is not... 'bout half the price of any similarly sized tablet... Specs... I dunno about that, but couple the price, and someone who uses a lot of home automated stuff using the echo ecosystem... It's a better deal than *some* of the other Alexa devices even... The best part about it being a full on Alexa device is the portability coupled with the Alexa features, within an already established echo ecosystem... pretty cool for the money.

However... if you want a badass Tablet... this ain't your Corvette or Rolls Royce, Bugatti, etc... Go Buy the latest Samsung or Ipad pro and load up the apps... but you won't get Alexa hands free. (Unless someone has fugured out how to get Siri to wake the tablet for Alexa use... that'd be a game changer)
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!