Echo & Alexa Forums

Another interesting story about Amazon

Offline jwlv

Another interesting story about Amazon
« on: September 16, 2017, 11:33:31 pm »
Just last week I was looking at upgrading my router. After many days of research I decided on the Google WiFi System (3-pack). It was early in the morning, about 6am and we were going to Walmart to buy a few things. I was planning to order the Google WiFi System from Amazon Prime Now and they don't start delivery until 10am. So I figured I'll go take a look at the actual unit at Walmart before I order it from Amazon Prime Now. The price on Amazon Prime Now was $264.00. Walmart.com's price was $269.00 ($5 more).

At the Walmart store, I looked at the Google WiFi System and confirmed that it is what I will buy. The item was already saved to my Amazon Prime Now cart before we left the house so all I have to do is press a button to order it. While at Walmart, I opened the Prime Now app and was just about to order the router but I saw a small note that said the price had changed while I had it in my cart. The price is now $269.00 (up $5). Then I remembered that the tag on the shelf at Walmart was $259.00 ($10 less than what Walmart.com showed, and now $10 less than Amazon). Well, I ended up buying it from the Walmart store for $259.00. It's too bad that Amazon changed the price while I had the item in my cart. They just lost that sale.

Re: Another interesting story about Amazon
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2017, 01:17:22 am »
I learned a long time ago Amazon tends to increase prices when saved in the shopping cart.    I also found if you complain to customer service, they will give it to you at the original price  :-)

malliekm

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2017, 02:24:34 am »
Yes and yes.   I don't think you even have to have it in your cart. I've seen prices go up when you're just browsing items.  I've complained and got the original price.

mike27oct

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2017, 03:35:25 am »
Right, just looking at an item on Amazon can get you a price increase the next time you look at it.  Happens often with electronic gadgets.  Look at Amazon LAST after looking at Newegg, etc.  If Amazon has it for less when you first look, then get it is the takeaway from this experience.  It really pisses me off Amazon messes with buyers this way.

malliekm

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2017, 01:35:27 pm »
I hadn't thought about looking at Amazon LAST!  It's always the first site I go to.  Excellent idea! :)

Offline jwlv

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2017, 01:59:20 pm »
Right, just looking at an item on Amazon can get you a price increase the next time you look at it.  Happens often with electronic gadgets.  Look at Amazon LAST after looking at Newegg, etc.  If Amazon has it for less when you first look, then get it is the takeaway from this experience.  It really pisses me off Amazon messes with buyers this way.

I don't shop at Newegg any more. It's either crazy, weird, or just an incredible coincidence, but it seems that my credit card # gets stolen within months after I buy something at Newegg. I use several different credit cards. One thing in common is that when a card is stolen, I've used it at Newegg previously. And another coincidence. None of my cards have been stolen since I stopped buying from Newegg about 2 years ago.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 12:45:05 am by jwlv »

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2017, 03:36:49 pm »
another thing I noticed was when I was buying seasons of a tv show one season at a time, the price was always much higher when I was home logged into my account than when I was checking from work not logged in. 
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 05:21:45 pm by renegade600 »

mike27oct

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2017, 03:42:52 pm »
If I don't need to give my credit card number (and can use PayPal instead,) i do not use CC or have it on record for a purchase)  A few years ago, the same day I bought something from Newegg, I saw a charge on my CC for a $100 gift card from a LA restaurant on my card.  (Newegg is in LA area)  I thought it was conclusive evidence someone at Newegg tested my card number for later use.  I yanked my CC from Newegg and only use PayPal there.  Unfortunately not all businesses accept PayPal.

BTW, I checked at Experion to see if my personal date they have was one of the people affected by their recent gigantic data breach.  I wasn't.

BE SURE EACH OF YOU CHECK WITH THEM, TOO.

malliekm

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2017, 04:11:17 pm »
It 's on my to-do list today Mike!  I use PayPal too whenever possible.

Offline jwlv

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2017, 12:42:48 am »
Mike you might want to check again.  I've heard from several sources that if you check again it might give you different results.

mike27oct

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2017, 01:05:03 am »
Not a bad idea.  It's not that hard to input a few pieces of info; the "hard part" is following their many links to get to the check button!

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2017, 06:19:54 pm »
If I don't need to give my credit card number (and can use PayPal instead,) i do not use CC or have it on record for a purchase)  A few years ago, the same day I bought something from Newegg, I saw a charge on my CC for a $100 gift card from a LA restaurant on my card.  (Newegg is in LA area)  I thought it was conclusive evidence someone at Newegg tested my card number for later use.  I yanked my CC from Newegg and only use PayPal there.  Unfortunately not all businesses accept PayPal.

BTW, I checked at Experion to see if my personal date they have was one of the people affected by their recent gigantic data breach.  I wasn't.

BE SURE EACH OF YOU CHECK WITH THEM, TOO.

check with your credit card company, a lot of them will let you use tokens instead of the real cc number. 

mike27oct

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2017, 08:53:43 pm »
OK. I will see what BofA has

zaphod

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2018, 03:05:07 pm »
if using firefox there is an add-on called 'keepa.' i've found it to be extremely useful. it will show daily prices for whatever amazon item going back to the date it first went on sale in graphical form. i used it last summer for example to show me when the best time to purchase a snowblower. it works for all but the newest items. so if you want to know if something is priced good, high, low, etc. i haven't found a better way yet to keep tabs. i wish the app was available for chrome too but not yet, anyway. ;)

mike27oct

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2018, 04:22:08 pm »