Echo & Alexa Forums

Voice commands via Bluetooth microphone

KenMahler

Voice commands via Bluetooth microphone
« on: September 16, 2017, 01:43:43 pm »
Is it possible to pair a Bluetooth mic to the Echo to send voice commands (as opposed to using the remote controller device)? The Echo user is physically unable to push the button to activate the remote controller. Ideally, she could use a voice-activated microphone.

If this is not currently possible, can you tell me if support for Bluetooth microphones for this purpose is on the horizon or if it's possible using an add on product?

mike27oct

Re: Voice commands via Bluetooth microphone
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2017, 03:10:40 pm »
As far as I know we cannot pair a mic to Alexa devices directly.  The only Alexa device that responds to voice without using a button press is the portable Tap device (if it is setup to work this way).  Replace the Alexa device with a Tap to solve the problem.

AlanH

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2017, 11:08:38 am »
The only Alexa device that responds to voice without using a button press is the portable Tap device (if it is setup to work this way).
Makes no sense - Echo responds to voice without a button press.

mike27oct

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2017, 01:15:51 pm »
Right Alan, I stand corrected.  I guess the remote button press to use mic comment threw me a curve!  Unless Echo is too far away from hearing command, the remote is not necessary.  I have a remote for Echo and never use it.  One thing about the Tap, is it does not need the wake word (but that was not the question/issue.)

asianrocker

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2017, 08:24:52 pm »
FYI, OP, you actually can use the echo without pressing the remote. I am actually confuse why you want to connect a BT mic when echo already has an always on mic.

And as far as I know, the new echos don't come with a remote. Mine did not come with one.

KenMahler

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2017, 11:09:16 am »
Yes, i do know that. It's the main reason I'm looking at the Echo. I asked about the mic because my cousin's voice it too week for Alexa to "hear" it and respond to commands. I did move it closer, with same result. a voice activated mic would be the best solution, I think.

mike27oct

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2017, 01:38:25 pm »
Why not use a mic and app to make a (BT) speaker next to Echo do the work?

asianrocker

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2017, 02:36:07 pm »
Have you tried the train the mic method? OR I actually don't know what wording in the alexa app menu but you can train the echo on how the user uses it. SO hopefully if you train echo on how your cousin's voice naturally sound and the usual environment its at, you won't have to need any other mic work around.

KenMahler

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2017, 03:36:53 pm »
Thanks, that was my plan. I just need to get the Echo to be able to hear her. Gonna try again today.