Echo & Alexa Forums

running out of outlets

running out of outlets
« on: September 14, 2017, 06:21:44 pm »
just received the 360 camera today that I got free for purchasing a note 8.  was going to charge it but found I am running out of outlets!!!  between all the android devices, computers, tvs, wemos, and other rechargeable items, not counting the regular appliances,  I am afraid to add more surge protectors or power strips to my apartment.   anyway finally found a spot but had to craw under a table to a surge protector that had one spot left. 

what about you?

malliekm

Re: running out of outlets
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2017, 06:53:57 pm »
When my electrician bil did the electrical when we first built this house as 21 and 22 year old babies, he said you can never have too many outlets especially in the kitchen.  So no, not even close.  When we doubled the size of the house in 2000, he again made sure we had plenty of outlets.  When we did another major remodel in 2007 we had to add another panel.  In addition to the 3 outlets in the master bath, I have an outlet in each of the two closets in the master bath and one behind a drawer in the vanity (those were my ideas).  The one behind the vanity allows my hair dryer to stay plugged in and in a drawer.  I've got lots of unused plugs.

mike27oct

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2017, 11:33:53 pm »
Remember that plugged in devices are not drawing power if not on.  Try not to load too many that continuously draw power in same outlet.  Mix them up with those that are more idle than on.  Some re-adjusting may help the situation. See if you can eliminate some items plugged in or at least unplug when not in use. Apartments (and motel rooms) are notorious for lack of outlets.

Offline jwlv

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2017, 11:13:12 am »
Just recently I had an overloaded power strip that tripped the fuse. When I tried to reset the fuse, it turned on but popped immediately again. So I pulled the power strip out and tried to flip the main switch on and off. To my surprise, the switch was locked. I took a quick sniff at the switch and smelled burnt electronics. The switch contacts melted inside in power strip. Good thing that this particular power strip had a fuse. Most of the other ones I have are cheap junk that doesn't have a fuse.

mike27oct

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2017, 11:35:07 am »
So, was the power strip defective or did some gadget trip the switch?

Offline jwlv

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2017, 07:38:26 pm »
So, was the power strip defective or did some gadget trip the switch?

It was too many devices drawing too much current. The power strip did its job by tripping the fuse. But the switch melting was just a side effect. The fuse should have prevented that. But if the fuse didn't work, then I assume the switch would have gotten so hot and that it would probably have caused a small fire.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 11:12:10 pm by jwlv »

mike27oct

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2017, 07:54:59 pm »
Yea, some of these surge suppressors are not trustworthy, sad to say

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2017, 06:22:29 pm »
I have always heard you should replace surge protectors every year or so because if you have a lot of surges, it could eventually turn into power strips without surge protection. 

anyway, thanks all, some good ideals came from this thread.