Echo & Alexa Forums

Control fire tv from your dot

Esilvester

Control fire tv from your dot
« on: September 09, 2017, 06:03:35 am »
Despite the uk press going crazy reporting this new feature, I cant see it supported in my app.  The option to link firetv is not in the akexa app under "music video and books". In fact, in my app its only "music and books".  Anyone got this to work yet or is this yet another US only release that the uk press are just too lazy to test out?  >:(

StevenR

Re: Control fire tv from your dot
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2017, 06:37:28 am »
Yep, it's another US-only feature like calling and messaging and entertainment smart home skills (like Broadlink) with no indication of if or when we will get them in the UK.

MacNee

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2017, 07:50:08 am »
We need to be more vocal... we pay the same as America for the product but not getting the same level of service.

Offline jwlv

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2017, 09:28:08 am »
We need to be more vocal... we pay the same as America for the product but not getting the same level of service.

One difference is that Echo has been around in the US for a little over 2 years. It has been available in the UK for less than 6 months. It took over a year for the US Echo to get simple home automation features such as turning on a light. And 2 years for Fire TV control and voice calling. So really, UK users have another 1.5 years to go. But I'm sure many of those features will be available in just a few months. And 2 years ago, US users did pay the same as you (actually the Echo cost more back then) and many features were not available or even promised to be available. Many people just hoped that home automation and voice calling would be added eventually.

AlanH

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2017, 10:49:51 am »
The original Echo was launched in the UK 12 months ago.

shorner

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2017, 11:23:50 am »
Was there any mention of this in yesterdays announcements, I never saw anything in the press but even finding that calling/drop in is supposedly going live in the UK (not for me yet) was badly reported so maybe it was just missed?

RobertinHerts

Re: Control fire tv from your dot - Delayed outside North America
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2017, 08:38:33 am »
Despite the uk press going crazy reporting this new feature, I cant see it supported in my app.  The option to link firetv is not in the akexa app under "music video and books". In fact, in my app its only "music and books".  Anyone got this to work yet or is this yet another US only release that the uk press are just too lazy to test out?  >:(

Disappointed with Pocket-Lint's report  for this reason, A source I previously trusted as reliable.
http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/141794-how-to-use-alexa-to-control-amazon-fire-tv-devices-without-a-remote#

Saved a lot of frustration by checking the app first, then noting it only shows "Music and books", hence taking a look here. Perhaps we should start a  list of cues? The Calling and messaging having needed the speech bubble displayed in the app to indicate availability.

I can understand the delay as we have different services in the UK such as BBC iPlayer.

Ought to be useful when it is available, particularly for those with a HDMI CEC TV.

However both devices must be on the same account.
Understandable I suppose.

balabing79

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2017, 03:46:31 am »

Hi the new echo show is released on the 16th november i think if not mistaken which will require the app to have video support enabled, so i am thinking that we may be able to control fire tv with the release of the show maybe a little before.

Sengadog

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2017, 03:26:46 pm »

Hi the new echo show is released on the 16th november i think if not mistaken which will require the app to have video support enabled, so i am thinking that we may be able to control fire tv with the release of the show maybe a little before.

No, still not available, I bought a firestick to use this feature as I read it could, did not realise it was US only, Instill loke my Firestick but would be better to use my echo instead if the remote. Maybe they are waiting to make sure it is perfect before releasing it to the UK market, it’s not been out long in the US.

kayut

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2017, 01:27:06 pm »
Ye, I also can confirm that this feature is not available in UK yet.
Another feature which is not available in UK is the ability to select a song as alarm. This feature was recently introduced in the USA.

Mtenga

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2018, 04:02:40 am »
End of January and now six months since this feature was made available in the US and still no sign here in the UK. Very poor it should take this length of time.