Echo & Alexa Forums

what a mess - new phone

what a mess - new phone
« on: September 08, 2017, 07:22:07 pm »
got my new Note 8 a couple of days ago.  did not realized how many different smart home apps I had that required passwords.  some include the wink, hue, nest, alexa, honeywell, ifttt and more.  also did not realized how many passwords and email addresses to log in with I could not remember.   then theres the ones that could not be installed in more than one device.   It took a couple of days and in spite of the current connection issue with wink, I think I got all of them.   what a mess...

the only thing that made me mad was I had to do a soft reset on my gear s2.  lost the watch face and it is no longer available.  oh well...

malliekm

Re: what a mess - new phone
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2017, 10:08:23 pm »
Probably a little to late to suggest you keep all your passwords and user names recorded.  I would be toast if I lost all of mine!  I have them in a program called AZZ Cardfile and print out a copy every so often.

Do you think you could find a Gear S2 on ebay that you can harvest the watch face from? 

So, please tell us how you like the Note 8.  I have a S7 and was on the phone with Verizon the other day.  She said I was eligible for an early update to the Note 8.  My heart skipped a beat!  She was going to give me $480 for my S7 which would make my 2-year plan $20/month for the phone.  I repeated the details and she said yes.  Right before I said "I'll take it", she said "oh, and you'll need to pay $240 down".  Whaaat?  Never mind.  I'm still not sure she knows what she was talking about.  I'm going to call tomorrow and see if I can get some clearer details.

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2017, 10:23:04 pm »
Probably a little to late to suggest you keep all your passwords and user names recorded.  I would be toast if I lost all of mine!  I have them in a program called AZZ Cardfile and print out a copy every so often.

Do you think you could find a Gear S2 on ebay that you can harvest the watch face from? 

So, please tell us how you like the Note 8.  I have a S7 and was on the phone with Verizon the other day.  She said I was eligible for an early update to the Note 8.  My heart skipped a beat!  She was going to give me $480 for my S7 which would make my 2-year plan $20/month for the phone.  I repeated the details and she said yes.  Right before I said "I'll take it", she said "oh, and you'll need to pay $240 down".  Whaaat?  Never mind.  I'm still not sure she knows what she was talking about.  I'm going to call tomorrow and see if I can get some clearer details.

actually I use lastpass but just did not think about saving app passwords with it.  it has them now :-)

I think the note 8 is great.  took a bit trying to get used to the fingerprint scan on the back and no physical home button but I have used it enough now that they are second nature and in a lot of ways more convenient.  have not gotten around to messing with the camera yet but I should before the weekend is out.  I may wait for the 360 to arrive that was free with the purchase before messing with the cameras.   whatever happens, I am stuck with it for the next 30 months until it is paid off or win the lottery. 

mike27oct

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2017, 11:22:50 pm »
FYI, my solution to password glut began early by using MS word to keep them all in along with credit card numbers and other confidential stuff.  The key to security is to password protect the Word file; only ONE password to ever remember. I keep the file updated and each time I make changes I send myself a copy to my two email addresses where I have a backup and I can access the file in my yahoo mail; where I can view it in there by using the file's password.  I never print the file.