Echo & Alexa Forums

Can Alexa do an command without saying she's doing it

cgott42

Can Alexa do an command without saying she's doing it
« on: November 19, 2015, 11:46:22 am »
It's very cool that Alexa can run IFTTT commands, so you can walk in a room and say "Alexa trigger lights" and it will run the "lights" recipe in IFTTT to (e.g. to turn on the lights).  However, before she does so, she first verbally says what she's doing (e.g. she'll say "Sending that to IFTTT" before turning on the lights.  Is there a way to have her run the command without saying anything (especially annoying when you ask her to fast forward the DVR (via IFTTT and Harmony integration))?
thx

fstbusa

Re: Can Alexa do an command without saying she's doing it
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2015, 08:38:54 am »
I don't think thats possible but depending on your home automation setup she may just say "ok".... I have a smartthings setup and I tell her to turn on the lights and she just says ok and does it.  Not nearly as annoying.

bukzin

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2015, 12:22:24 pm »
Is that a user setting, or pre-programmed by ST?

How could it be done with the Wink hub?

fstbusa

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2015, 03:53:45 pm »
Is that a user setting, or pre-programmed by ST?

How could it be done with the Wink hub?

I'm assuming its part of the ST and Echo integration.  I'm not sure on the Wink hub integration.  Says you can control the lights thru the echo but since I don't have a wink hub I'm not sure how it works.
http://www.androidcentral.com/amazon-echo-speaker-now-supports-wink-controlled-smart-home-hardware

This video(if he is using a wink hub) is the same as the ST setup.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1Ykl9NYuzg

« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 03:57:44 pm by fstbusa »

Beckyricha

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2016, 11:32:19 am »
I have a wink hub. It just says "ok."

cgott42

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2016, 12:43:58 pm »
Are any of these compatible with Echo and Harmony.
So I can turn the lights on/off via Echo or via the Harmony Smart Remote Hub (b/c sometime during a movie it's too loud for Echo to hear me and I need to change the lighting via the remote.

jimbo

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2016, 12:49:40 pm »
So I can turn the lights on/off via Echo or via the Harmony Smart Remote Hub (b/c sometime during a movie it's too loud for Echo to hear me and I need to change the lighting via the remote.
You should start a new topic for that question.

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

fstbusa

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2016, 08:31:30 am »

Looks like ST is natively compatible with the harmony hub.  That doesn't mean others haven't gotten different remotes to work, its just not "officially" supported.  There is a ton of stuff other people have made work with ST.

https://www.smartthings.com/compatible-products