Echo & Alexa Forums

Music Group unable to configure some combination of Echo - "Device Unreachable"

Jevad

I am trying to create a Music Group for multi-room streaming, I have 6 Dot's and 2 Echo's.  When I try to select 2 of the dots (Office/Basement) AND the Echo in Living Room, that works, but Kitchen Echo becomes "Device Unreachable".  If I select the Kitchen Echo first, All the other Dots become shaded and marked "Device Unreachable", If I select any of the Dots, the Kitchen Echo becomes "Device Unreachable".  Note the Living room Echo can be grouped with either the Kitchen or the Dots without triggering a "Device Unreachable" on either.

Note Kitchen and Living Room Echos, although different colors (1 white/1 black), were purchased on the same day and installed on same network at same time.  I'm not sure why they are behaving differently.

Has anyone seen this? is there a workaround? if not is there a fix? coming?

drfoto

Same problem exactly as you have described.
I have rebooted units, updated firmware, rebooted all on same node of home MESH network, etc.
So far no success in avoiding the dreaded "unreachable" status change.

malibuty

I am having the exact same problem. I just spent an hour with online support. They did not really know about the issue. I have a solid router, and this has been working perfectly for several months. Now I have a similar situation where when I select 1 of the echo devices, another 2 grey out. It sounds exactly like the issue you have.

I have an Orbi router that gives me strong wifi throughout my home.

Help!

malibuty

Solved it. I restarted my router. Once I did that, all of the devices were available and they did not grey out when I selected one.

drfoto

Interesting that a router reboot solved your problem. My solution was found in contacting support for the MESH WiFi system I use in my home. I do not possess deep knowledge of wireless technology or networking but all able to follow instructions. After describing the scenario that resulted in variable combinations of unreachable Echo devices, the support adviser indicated there was a setting for my MESH system which could enhance the availability of network resources, enabling ask Echo devices to become reachable at the same time. His response:

"Basically only devices on the same AP could see each other because the devices across multiple APs were separated by IP subnet of each AP, thus isolating them from each other.

Bridging allows your router to eliminate that communication barrier."

This was accomplished by "bridging one of the network SSIDs to the LAN" so all wireless devices could get an IP address from the router.

I really don't understand what this means exactly but it was the solution I required to make multiroom audio function with my multiple Echo devices.