Echo & Alexa Forums

trying to create a group - devices changing from online to unreachable

rswan1967

Hi there, looking for some pointers please.

After reading articles about the "multi-room music" and "using echo devices as intercomms" features, I was excited to set things up.  However, I'm unable to create a group of my devices (one Echo and 2 Echo dots) in my Alexa app (iOS).

1) At first the devices show as online and ready to play with: (ignore the last device showing as offline; it was simply switched off when I was taking this screenshot)...

2) But as soon as I click on a device, the others immediately change to unreachable.  Here's the 1st one selected and the 2nd one has become unreachable...

3) Here's the 2nd one selected, which makes the 1st one now unreachable...

4) Then I thought maybe I have to add them one at a time to create a group, but no matter which device I select the 'create group' button at the bottom is greyed out and can't be used...

I've tried rebooting all the devices but no joy.

Any helps or tips or pointers as to how to get around this problem and create a group?

Many thanks in advance,
Richard

asianrocker

Re: trying to create a group - devices changing from online to unreachable
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2017, 08:50:14 am »
There is lagging going on right now on alexa server. Right now is not the right time to set up anything.

I know coz I finally googled today why my echo is just way too slow to respond or lit up for awhile and say nothing at all.

When I googled a reddit forum told me all about it.

Weird though that when I opened my alexa app. MY echo seem to work normal. OH well. tech problems.

rswan1967

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2017, 09:12:35 am »
Didn't realise there was that issue with the server; thanks for the info.

There is lagging going on right now on alexa server. Right now is not the right time to set up anything.

I know coz I finally googled today why my echo is just way too slow to respond or lit up for awhile and say nothing at all.

When I googled a reddit forum told me all about it.

Weird though that when I opened my alexa app. MY echo seem to work normal. OH well. tech problems.

rswan1967

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2017, 09:53:00 am »
Hi there,

So I've left it a wee while and tried again, but still facing the same issue when trying to create a multi music group.

Even trying the web version of the Alexa app today, the same issue happens:
All devices appear ok and online.
But as soon as one is selected the others immediately become 'unreachable' and I can't create a group.

Does anyone know why I'm facing this issue?
Is there something else I should be doing?

Is there a page/link of instructions I can follow?
I'm good at following through instructions on my own, but I just cannot find the info online about this problem.

Thanks for any help you can give.

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2017, 12:18:43 pm »
I noticed from your screen shots you don't have the conversation icon between the home and equalizer icons.
Are you not in the US?
I know this is required for the intercom/calling features. It may also be required for multi room music feature.
I get the same results but I don't have calling configured?

mindmagic

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2017, 03:41:44 am »
I had this problem because one of my two devices was connected directly to the router on 5 GHz while the other was on the extender at 2.4 GHz, effectively two different networks. Connecting them both to the same network fixed the problem.

rswan1967

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2017, 04:17:52 am »
Thanks for your input folks; much appreciated.

On the multi room music front - Amazon UK support was able to fix it for me.  With all the devices registered together in my UK account, they were able to login, and whatever settings they changed behind the scenes, I was then able to group them all together and the music is working perfectly to all devices.

Intercom - I believe that I'm not able to run with this just yet.  Something to do with an update that went out to US devices but not yet fully functional within the UK.

Thanks again!

danpirro

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2018, 09:57:54 pm »
I think I got it.

I noticed when I had 5 in the same room, they all worked after they all "talked". to do that, I asked it the time and 3 flashed purple and 1 answered. the other one just went dark. I checked the app, all worked but that one. I closed the app and asked the time again. one answered, all flashed purple that didn't answer. I checked the app and I could add that one too.

YMMV