Echo & Alexa Forums

Linking Echo to Fire TV

adelphia

Linking Echo to Fire TV
« on: August 28, 2017, 10:39:20 am »
I have an Amazon Echo (purchased during Prime Day, 2017) and an Amazon Fire TV (Gen. 1) which I'm trying to link. I have tried everything I can to get them to link and followed numerous instructions but no matter what I do I do not see a "Link Your Alexa Device" option anywhere.

In general, this is the process I follow:

• Open the menu, and select Music, Video, & Books.
  • Select Fire TV.
  • Select Link Your Alexa Device, then follow the on-screen instructions to select which of your devices you'd like to link.
  • Select Link Devices to confirm that you want to link your selected devices.
  • You can view and manage your linked devices from the Alexa app at any time.

I have checked my version number on Fire TV and have confirmed I have the correct version for a Gen 1 Fire TV, they are on the same network (I have tried both wired and wireless on the Fire TV) and I have tried both 2G and 5G.

If I say "Alexa, watch Netflix on Fire TV" she usually says, "I'm sorry, something went wrong" and occasionally "To watch a video, go to your Alexa App and enable a Video skill".

I even purchased a new Echo Remote (in addition to my Fire TV remote) thinking it was that which I needed and this paired without issue to the echo. I have since unpaired and am sending it back however, as this didn't fix the problem either.

I have also tried a factory reset of my Echo and Fire TV, unregistered them from my account and re-registered them to ensure the were registered to the same (and correct) account.

Could someone PLEASE tell me how to link them together as it's driving me nuts!

Thanks in advance...

mike27oct

Re: Linking Echo to Fire TV
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2017, 12:57:04 pm »
Gen 1 FT may be too old to link; this could be a possibility.  There are lots of posts here about the Echo and FT; have you searched this site for the posts?  Have you checked HELP at Amazon website?  Have you called Amazon Echo or FT customer support?

If and when you get them linked you will then wonder why you went through all this, because it is a fairly lame interaction between the two devices according to those here who have linked them.  I personally do not see much utility with the linkage, and I have a current model FT with the voice remote along with many Alexa devices.

adelphia

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2017, 01:20:01 pm »
According to all the technical info I've read, this is "supposed" to work with all forms of Fire TV and all forms of Fire Stick except the Gen 1 Fire Stick.

I want to set it up as I am a programmer and would like to write some skills in relation to this, but until such time I have the devices linked, I can't.

I tried here first as I thought an "Echo" forum would be quicker and more beneficial than sending an email to Echo support via a contact form.

Yes, I have tried searching the forums but using ["Fire TV" link] only returns a very few responses which are basically a similar response to yours; contact customer support.

asianrocker

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2017, 08:11:21 pm »
Have you tried the discover devices command?

adelphia

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2017, 03:55:23 am »
Have you tried the discover devices command?

Thanks for the tip. I had actually tried that first (just forgot to say) and she stated "I couldn't find any smartphone devices. If you have a Philips..." etc. etc. etc.

adelphia

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2017, 04:57:58 am »
OK. I've figured it out. It does not work in  the UK as of yet. If I switch my devices to a US location it works without issue so I set it up as if I were in the US and then switch the devices back to the UK.