Echo & Alexa Forums

Using multiple Echos with Drop In only works with one

jodybruns

Using multiple Echos with Drop In only works with one
« on: August 27, 2017, 06:26:57 pm »
Recently I added additional Echo Dots in my elderly Aunt's home for security reasons and checking in on her. I've named each of her devices, (i.e. kitchen, bathroom, etc.) However, when I "Drop In" on her, only the kitchen Dot connects. When I say "Drop In on Aunt Linda's Bedroom" still only the kitchen connects.

When I turn off the Drop In feature on the other Echos, the one in her bedroom will connect so I know it works and she can Drop In on my from any of her devices.

Any suggestions or advice is appreciated.

Laurel

Re: Using multiple Echos with Drop In only works with one
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2017, 08:47:32 pm »
I find that when I use any Alexa device to drop in on certain room, I can have some difficulty connecting. I chalk it up to me being too verbose in the naming of the room. For example if I say Alexa drop in on living room, it works each time. However, if I say drop in on Ray's bedroom, she takes 3 tries to get it.  I have been considering shortening the names of the other drop in spots. Maybe bedroom 1, bedroom 2 etc. without using names?

asianrocker

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2017, 09:18:57 pm »
Just an observation, it seems the apostrophe symbol - ' <---- that one is the culprit too. It has been an observation of mine that for some reason apostrophe really messes up the output of any thing in the 'program'. It actually is very evident in the forum I go too. To the point that the post is unreadable.

Here is an example of the post I am referring to:

&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;

&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; Didn't the Stylo 3 Plus just come out recently so root is allowed on that phone but not this one fml. &amp;#9785;&amp;#128577;&amp;#128542;&amp;#128534;&amp;#128543;

I mean... LOL. I also have an idea why. programs and scripts do use the apostrophe symbol a LOT. So you are actually messing with syntax there.

I also believe simply renaming the problem rooms will solve your problems. And will highly suggest to NOT use apostrophe symbol.

jodybruns

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2017, 10:43:15 am »
Thank you, both. The one thing I want to make sure I clarify is that she isn't in my home but in her home in a different state. My multiple echos work fine when I say, "Drop In on Kitchen", etc within my household. My problem is Alexa won't drop in on specific devices in my Aunt's house. I will try it today with out the apostrophe and see if that works.

Thanks again - Jody