Echo & Alexa Forums

Issue with Hue lights and Smart Home

Vortimous

Issue with Hue lights and Smart Home
« on: August 26, 2017, 03:18:51 pm »
I have 4 sets of Hue lights set up in my house.  I named them very simple, calling them Lamp, Mantle, Bar, and Table.  I can command Alexa to turn on the Bar and the Table by saying Alexa turn bar on or table on and I can control those with no problems.  The problem I am running into is, when I ask her to turn on the Lamp or the Mantle, she says she has found more than one device with that name.  SO, I deleted all the groups under smart home and have no groups set up so its not that.  If I go under Devices, alexa finds 13 devices and I see two labled Lamp and Mantle.  One says Lamp Room Living room connected via Hue and the other says Lamp Color Light.  Same with Mantle. If I set either of these to "forget" so that there is only one, alexa will work properly and turn them on or off by saying Alexa turn on lamp.  It works...

My problem is, Alexa, without me telling her too, will after some time (as short as 15 minutes) will for some reason, research for devices and re-add the two I just told her to forget.  This happens everyday...  I tell her to forget one of the Lamps and Mantle, she works... the next day instead of 11 devices, she is back to 13 and cant tell which one is which so she wont turn them on.  I do not know why she is looking for new devices when I dont tell her too or why she adds them back.  Any idea what can be done about this.  I called Alexa tech support, told them about it... they had me forget the two devices and power alexa down for 30 seconds, then restart....  They were suppose to call me back two days later to see if it worked (it didnt, nor did they call me back to check).  In about 15 minutes, alexa had reaquired the the two lamp and mantle I told her to forget.  Is there a setting you can turn off to stop her from looking for new devices unless I tell her to look for the devices?  Really annoying because I cant have her control these lights by command....

Re: Issue with Hue lights and Smart Home
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2017, 05:00:59 pm »
there is no way to disable autodiscovery.  you would have to remove the bulbs from the philips hue app. 

I would try renaming the problem bulbs. 

asianrocker

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2017, 12:30:51 am »
Agree with renaming the ones that you can rename. Guessing the one that echo keeps adding can't be renamed. I suggest you rename them R2 and D2. LOL. Joke.

geordietx

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2018, 10:34:42 pm »
I realize this post is old, but I wanted to put in my two cents in case it helps somebody researching this issue...

The problem is the word "lamp" in the name of anything.  For some reason, Alexa will always answer "Several devices share that same name...".   I had this problem for a long time until I changed the names and didn't use "lamp" any longer.

asianrocker

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2018, 07:35:33 am »
When my hue failed on me recently. I have to do delete and rediscover. It didn't get all my bulbs all at once a total of 4!! I have have to do it twice.  I didn't ever use forget. I always delete the double bulb even though they have different names.

FYI The name that comes up is the one that is on your hue app. Mine is a long default name.