Echo & Alexa Forums

google skill

Re: google skill
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2017, 09:45:06 pm »
Hi, I'm new to this forum and completely in love with Alexa. My brother got me my first dot for Christmas last year and my family was hooked instantly. We now have a total of 4 dots (one in the living room and one in each bedroom) and all the lights in the house have been replaced with Phillips Hue bulbs. My question today is about the Google skill. I found and tried following the instructions, but got hopelessly confused. is there anyone who would be able and willing to create the skill for me? I would be willing to pay for it via paypal or however you want. It would be a huge help and I would really appreciate it!!!!!

Read your reply. You know you don't even need to buy gh. All you need is google assistant on your current android phone.

Yes for the nth time I honestly don't see the point of GH. I have google assistant on my phone and it's all I need. Google is my BFF but not GH. LOL.

Oh, you know you can connect your dot on your current speakers? All you need is aux connector.

yes you can use google assistant over the phone but it does not work from across the room.   just like you can use individual apps to run your smart house.  It is more about convenience.    it does not mean those who have different point of views than you are wrong, as you seemed to say for the nth time. 

One of these days I may get a gh for its convenience and because of the one big difference is the calling, if you have fallen and cant get up, you can get alexa call a buddy and hope they are available or you can get gh to call the police station.  may not be 911 but you can still put their phone number in your contact list or just tell it to call the (town) police department
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 09:53:44 pm by renegade600 »

mike27oct

« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2017, 02:16:21 am »
BTW, our first Dot was one purchased to take audio output, not into a speaker, but into home stereo, but it actually is not used for that as much as we thought it would be.  We really do not listen to Alexa music that much.  We have so much digital music that the best (meaning quality) way to listen to music is our own music via stereo with our digital files coming directly from our NAS (or even just from a HD) to stereo. 

Both Alexa and GH devices are more for casual convenience listening. and I feel the GH has better sound than Echo for music, so I listen that way most often now since the app I use on iPad can cast the music to GH and even to Chromecast device.  Since music playing on iPad is being streamed to it by our NAS source, it is as high a quality as piping audio signal directly to stereo. If I want to bump up the music stream quality, I just direct the iPad to cast to Chromecast instead of GH and music is now coming from stereo with its video metadata content on TV

And, anyone who claims Google Assistant app is a substitute for a Google Home really doesn't know what they are talking about!  It's like comparing apples and oranges.

asianrocker

« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2017, 04:07:08 pm »
I actually know what I'm talking about. Google assistant well actually my smartphone and PC  are the  reasons that I did not buy echo right away. I honestly up to now even owning it does not see what it can do that smartphone and PC can't.

I should have searched before I bought though. Had I known dot has an aux input, I would have bought it instead. Now googling more, I honestly would have bought raspberry pi instead. Oh well.

mike27oct

« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2017, 04:37:06 pm »
Re: Raspberry Pi, is a reportedly cool gadget, but why is it still in the geek category of products?  Why isn't the market flooded with snazzy RP derived products from major companies?  Presumably because it is still too geeky.

« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2017, 04:51:04 pm »
I actually know what I'm talking about. Google assistant well actually my smartphone and PC  are the  reasons that I did not buy echo right away. I honestly up to now even owning it does not see what it can do that smartphone and PC can't.

I should have searched before I bought though. Had I known dot has an aux input, I would have bought it instead. Now googling more, I honestly would have bought raspberry pi instead. Oh well.

unless you can turn on the lights when the pc and phone is in another room, then the apps are useless. 
« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 06:02:41 pm by renegade600 »

asianrocker

« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2017, 05:46:29 pm »
LOL. you have to be a total geek first and foremost actually to buy raspberry pi. Either that or you know how to follow step by step instructions really good online.

And raspberry pi is not meant to be sold 'ready to use'. It's for hard core enthusiasts and software engineers.

raspberry pi is meant to be DIY. Like echo, when I saw the very first raspberry pi being sold mostly on barnes and nobles. I was like, what's the point? It's basically a cave man PC.

But really amazed with ALL the futuristic various forms of home automation you can do with it.  I changed my mind about it. You guys should google smart mirror that was like wow.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 05:55:28 pm by asianrocker »

Offline jwlv

« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2017, 06:35:40 pm »
But really amazed with ALL the futuristic various forms of home automation you can do with it.  I changed my mind about it. You guys should google smart mirror that was like wow.

Raspberry Pi is just a miniature PC running Linux. No biggie. I can live without it... Unless I have a specific project that needs it. But the Smart Mirror, I don't see what's the big deal. It's just a 2 way mirror with a small PC and a screen behind it. So what?

mike27oct

« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2017, 08:47:20 pm »
RP3:  quite a few folks at WD Forum are using the RP3 with Kodi installed as a media player. Yea. I'd like a newer media player, and right now my FireTV running Kodi (or MrMC -- a derivation of Kodi) serves as a media player; that is much less geeky; and I did not have to build anything. 

Nonetheless, even this setup is sort of geeky for most people.  A decent media player based on RP3 should be available by some name-brand outfit.  Even WD has been fooling around with it and have made some minor products based upon it, but so far nothing that the majority of buyers would spring for.

Anyway. further discussions about RP3 should not be in one of the Echo forums, but in Potpourri. 

asianrocker

« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2017, 10:03:55 pm »
You did not see that guy that put Alexa voice skill on his mirror then. And you can build anything you want with rp. People build robots with it.

So ya I can totally say though that rp projects only interested me when ai like Google and Alexa became available for it.

Before all they do is make kodi player or old school video games with it which are point less to me.

mike27oct

« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2017, 10:54:26 pm »
Video games are pointless to me, too. Mindless activity.

asianrocker

« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2017, 12:11:08 am »
I love video games. I meant it's pointless coz you can play old school video games on any PC. That's why I said it's for hobbyists.

It's the AI integration that made me decide RpI is not pointless after all especially if you are handy, unfortunately, I'm not.

aross1976

« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2017, 10:37:57 am »
i don't know why anyone wants this skill it is literally the most useless skill for alexa that has ever been created
i installed it and it sucks ,  about 98.9% of the time i ask it something it does not know ,  and about 95% of those questions alexa does , it is completely worthless

i can't imagine that the  GH is this bad , if this skill is anything like  what google is like on a GH them  the GH  is complete and utter rubbish which as a nexus owner i would not doubt
 GA  even on  6p is completely worthless the most retarded AI i have ever experienced,  it never works
nine times out of ten it can't even tell you the time,  forget about activation of maps voice navigation

google is a POS company that treats it users like alpha testers  their developers   are not even toilet trained
they refuse 1world hires this is why
everything they do and  everything  they make is a complete disaster of ganges like proportions

GA is absolutely pants on head retarded but i still expected better for this google alexa skill
it is totally useless

« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 01:18:58 pm by aross1976 »

asianrocker

« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2017, 11:22:44 am »
LOL some one has a beef with Google. I find it hard to believe that Google can't answer any question. And Alexa can? Who you fooling?

aross1976

« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2017, 01:31:45 pm »
try installing the skill and see for yourself it sucks it does not know the answers to anything and even when it does all it does is pick out one word  it recognized then proceeds to read from  wikipedia, that is literally all it can do  is read from wikipedia, they should have called it the wikipedia skill ,

i can't imagine that it is this bad running on the home   for some reason the skill is not the same as it is ona home
one reason is it is missing location services which is a huge drawback right there but  it is more than just that
it just is not useful at all  ,like i said all it can do is sometimes if you are lucks ramble off from a wiki article but that is  about all it can do.

Yes i do have an issue with google

GA is completely worthless garbage i have it on my nexus 6p running N
 never used such a huge pile of crap in my life , it is worthless
google is a regressive  cancerous monopoly everything they touch they break or make worse

i have much fewer issues with amazon  at least they are trying to improve things all google does is break things and make them  worse and worse  with each successive "update"

GA is retarded all it knows how to do is turn everything into a google search

and it is unreliable AF , had my phone in the car  a couple weeks ago doing work outside filthy hands
windows open and i say "ok google what time is it"  i hear the phone vibrate so i know it heard me
 after asking it 50 times it finally responded them i tried another 200 times and    it would not respond at all
it activated each time , i know  because   i heard the phone vibrate

same for trying to get it to activate maps voice navigation hands free , it never works i just turn every command into a google search
their developers should all be tied to  boulders and tossed in the ganges

asianrocker

« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2017, 02:50:59 pm »
Sorry can't relate to your hatred with google assistant coz on my phone, it works flawlessly. Just tried to voice activate map and navigation. It works in a snap. And my phone is sh-itty as can be. LOL.

I find it ironic GA is not working right on your nexus. Isn't nexus owned by google? Did you root your phone? Maybe that's the reason.

I search for the google skill on my alexa app, it's not there. Also maybe that's not the right google skill? I know it's alexa that wiki everything. Not google or google assistant.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 03:07:44 pm by asianrocker »