Echo & Alexa Forums

google skill

ericnrosesmom

google skill
« on: August 24, 2017, 04:48:39 pm »
Hi, I'm new to this forum and completely in love with Alexa. My brother got me my first dot for Christmas last year and my family was hooked instantly. We now have a total of 4 dots (one in the living room and one in each bedroom) and all the lights in the house have been replaced with Phillips Hue bulbs. My question today is about the Google skill. I found and tried following the instructions, but got hopelessly confused. is there anyone who would be able and willing to create the skill for me? I would be willing to pay for it via paypal or however you want. It would be a huge help and I would really appreciate it!!!!!

malliekm

Re: google skill
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2017, 06:22:58 pm »
I'm hopelessly confused too  :o

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2017, 06:37:55 pm »
I'm hopelessly confused too  :o

thats normal for you   :-)

mike27oct

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2017, 06:53:50 pm »
Why not buy a Google Home and have Google search, etc.built in?  Works for me!  When on sale the GH is around $99 or less.

ericnrosesmom

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2017, 07:11:04 pm »
I want to but my husband thinks it's a waste of money when we already have 4 dots

malliekm

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2017, 09:52:43 pm »

[/quote]
thats normal for you   :-)
[/quote]
I get no respect around here :P
So the answer to her question is....?

mike27oct

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2017, 01:16:40 am »
I want to but my husband thinks it's a waste of money when we already have 4 dots

Who made the decision to get 4 Dots?  Hubby?  Dots sound terrible when playing music, I have 4 as well, but I also have Echo and Google Home, and they both sound better for music.  Maybe you can make a decision to get a GH!   (Maybe I can start a family argument!)

malliekm

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2017, 01:41:17 am »
Okay, after reading the OP several times I think I get it.  There must be a Google skill for Alexa. She is unable to set it up/use it correctly and wants someone to write a Google skill for her.   Did I get it right?

I have three dots and 2 Google homes.  A Google home is not a waste of money because you have  Echo dots. A Google home is going to sound better for music. If you have two Google homes they can play the same song at the same time.  A Google home can make phone calls to any phone in the United States or Canada. Goggle home's search engine/knowledge base is a million times better than Alexa, but Alexa tells better jokes.  And I haven't even touched on all of the casting abilities with Google home.   I'm not into that so really don't know much about it.  Who knows what the next generation holds for both of these devices, but as of right now they aren't created equal as far as I'm concerned. 

mike27oct

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2017, 02:39:50 am »
Thanks for mentioning casting, my favorite feature of the GH.  I have a music app or two that allows me to cast to GH anything playing on my phone or tablet.  Casting is much better than BT; it sends the signal through the home network, not as another wireless signal like bluetooth.  I can also cast music to my Chromecast as well and shows up on TV with the album art, title, artist etc.

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2017, 04:37:31 am »

I don't think it is a waste of money.

1.  you can call any landline or mobile phone
2.  you can have it call a business without the number being in your contact list
3.  you can get better answers to stupid questions
4.  you can use it as a backup when the echo is acting up
5.  there is casting if you stream
and more.

as far as setting up the google skill you originally wanted.  there are several posts in this forum that has links to help with it.  there are several youtube videos that can help.  just search for "google skill for alexa"

malliekm

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2017, 12:46:56 pm »
Better answers to intelligent questions too :)  AND her rendition of "Happy Birthday" is much better ;)
GH also turns on/off the same lights and a fan that Alexa does.  I use TP-Link outlets (no hub).  I'm
sure it would work with what you're using.  Try a GH (or a Dot for that matter) in the kitchen.  Around here
that one gets the most use, followed by the office.

mike27oct

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2017, 01:01:34 pm »
Dots are used at our home mostly for convenience to ask time, temp, weather, control TP link switches, add things to shopping list, but NOT for music.  That is what the GHs and Echo are for.

asianrocker

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2017, 08:17:45 pm »
Dots are used at our home mostly for convenience to ask time, temp, weather, control TP link switches, add things to shopping list, but NOT for music.  That is what the GHs and Echo are for.

I disagree. Dot is way better actually coz you can connect it to your current speaker. Most people own a bad ass home theater speaker and the dot is PERFECT for that. No BT required. Hmmm Makes me want to google which BT adapter I can buy from our current speaker in living room.

asianrocker

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2017, 09:30:08 pm »
Hi, I'm new to this forum and completely in love with Alexa. My brother got me my first dot for Christmas last year and my family was hooked instantly. We now have a total of 4 dots (one in the living room and one in each bedroom) and all the lights in the house have been replaced with Phillips Hue bulbs. My question today is about the Google skill. I found and tried following the instructions, but got hopelessly confused. is there anyone who would be able and willing to create the skill for me? I would be willing to pay for it via paypal or however you want. It would be a huge help and I would really appreciate it!!!!!

Read your reply. You know you don't even need to buy gh. All you need is google assistant on your current android phone.

Yes for the nth time I honestly don't see the point of GH. I have google assistant on my phone and it's all I need. Google is my BFF but not GH. LOL.

Oh, you know you can connect your dot on your current speakers? All you need is aux connector.

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2017, 09:39:58 pm »

I disagree. Dot is way better actually coz you can connect it to your current speaker. Most people own a bad ass home theater speaker and the dot is PERFECT for that. No BT required. Hmmm Makes me want to google which BT adapter I can buy from our current speaker in living room.

I have a good home theater too and I still connect to it via bluetooth.  I keep the echo across the room.  this way it can hear commands better when playing music.