Echo & Alexa Forums

Smart Home Grouping and Nest Theromstats

creatorss

Smart Home Grouping and Nest Theromstats
« on: August 18, 2017, 04:46:53 pm »
Hello all,

I am hoping someone can help me, if it can be helped at all. I have two Nest thermostats in my home and enjoy using my Echos, Show and Dots to control the Nest and change temperatures. I grouped my upstairs and downstairs Nests to one group called Air Conditioning. When I originally did it, it works great. I could say Alexa change air conditioning to 72 degrees and it would change both. Some update happened and now when I attempt same thing, I am told that there are multiple thermostats in air conditioning and I need to specify which one. This negates the entire purpose of the group and I really want it to work the way it did before update. I tried deleting group and redoing and get same results. Is there a way to make this work again so I can change both thermostats with one voice command?

Thanks in advance
Jason

Re: Smart Home Grouping and Nest Theromstats
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2017, 08:15:22 pm »
for clarification, did you give  each  thermostats a different name and create a group in the alexa app?  should not have the same word within the names.

creatorss

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2017, 03:59:14 pm »
Well that is weird. I had them as Upstairs Air and Downstairs Air and group was Air Conditioning. It worked great. Then out of nowhere it started to say there is more than one thermostat in my group and asks which one I wanted. I tried naming them now with no common words and it works. Kind of sucks that I had to use weird words I wouldn't remember but I will always likely change as group. What I find weird is I have all kinds of devices that use similar words in groups and work like the word (light) or (entry) are in multiple device names in groups and they work fine.

Thanks for your assistance, the important thing is I can change both with one voice command.

creatorss

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2017, 04:03:01 pm »
Weird. I changed names back to upstairs air and downstairs air and tried it and now it works with old names. Also whats unusual is that before it would say air condition is set to "insert whatever you said" and now it says the AC is set to " whatever you set it to". So it seems like it was an update and corrected issue perhaps. Regardless, now I get to have the names I want and the action I want once more.

Thanks
Jason

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2017, 06:40:27 pm »
sometimes alexa can drive you crazy.   There was a recent update with the thermostats. I noticed the change in the reply too when you ask the thermostat to change settings.