Echo & Alexa Forums

How to get Echo and Echo Dot working well together with Hue?

westhamm

How to get Echo and Echo Dot working well together with Hue?
« on: August 15, 2017, 04:24:21 am »
Hi all,

Good to see this forum as I have been having problems getting a new Echo Dot to work with our existing Echo to operate Hue lighting. Our setup is for the Echo to be in the (large) Kitchen/Dining Room/Orangery open plan area and the Echo Dot to be in the Living Room (about 7 x metres apart and with a dividing wall/arch). The Echo Dot has been purchased in order to send voice commands without having to shout through to the Echo.

Problems experienced are that the Echo is often the one to pick up on voice commands with the Echo Dot seemingly ignoring requests to turn on the lights! Echo Dot replies by saying it can't find the rooms (groups) setup etc. Setup seems OK with both on the same wifi network and both linked to my Amazon account. Is there anything obvious as to why I am having a problem here please?
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 05:38:51 am by westhamm »

Offline jwlv

Re: How to get Echo and Echo Dot working well together with Hue?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2017, 04:49:54 pm »
I've noticed that sometimes it takes a few hours for echo devices to sync up to the settings of other echo devices. Perhaps it had to do with its firmware. And firmware only updates when the house has been silent for a period of time. Or you can turn off the microphone to make the echo update its firmware quicker, usually in less than an hour or so.

westhamm

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2017, 04:58:18 pm »
Thanks for this, will give it a go. The Dot has been installed for a couple of weeks now though so it should have synced up. May need to try a full reset perhaps.

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2017, 08:20:47 pm »
there has been some recent updates.  one thing, it could be the location of the dot and the air/noise flow within the room itself.    try moving the dot or the echo and see if it works better.

westhamm

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2017, 03:25:16 am »
Thanks, tried moving it to a far corner but same thing. Its as if the Dot has no link/sync to the main Echo, if I ask it to turn Hue lights on it responds with the unable to locate etc. Think I will try the full reset.

westhamm

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2017, 10:04:50 am »
Full reset done for the Echo Dot as well as removing all Hue skills, lights and groups before re-adding them. Result - same thing. Only the Echo can control the Hue lights, the Echo Dot simply replies by saying "Sorry, I didn't find Kitchen Lights". Really frustrating, can't think of any other options here.