Echo & Alexa Forums

Echo Dot - Pulsing green light won't stop flashing

GKL

Echo Dot - Pulsing green light won't stop flashing
« on: August 14, 2017, 04:52:57 pm »
Hi,

We have two Echo Dots in our home, I just set them up to use the "intercom" feature and it works good both ways, I can say "Alexa, drop in on the kitchen" and no problem, it works as a 2 way intercom.

The problem is that even after I say Alexa, hang up, the intercom disconnects but the green light keeping pulsing, I try saying again just to be sure "Alexa, hang up" and Alexa says there is no active call, but the green light still keeping pulsing.

Is this a known issue, is there some way to stop it, will it hurt anything to just let it keep flashing ?

I tried unplugging and powering back up both Echo Dots, but still the green light keeps pulsing.

Other than the continuous pulsing of the green light, the Echo Dots are working just fine.

Thanks in advance for any help !

Re: Echo Dot - Pulsing green light won't stop flashing
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2017, 05:22:44 pm »
you can ask alexa what the green light is for and she will tell you.    green light usually means you have a call.  just say alexa answer. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201601790

GKL

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2017, 06:29:33 pm »
you can ask alexa what the green light is for and she will tell you.    green light usually means you have a call.  just say alexa answer. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201601790

Thanks for the reply renegade600  :),  I did ask Alexa and got the expected answer as to when the green light should come on, but not why it is still on now even though there is no incoming call or active call or Drop In.

I'm beginning to think that the green light is supposed to stay pulsing 24 hours a day after you set up the "Drop In" intercom function, whether it is actively being used or not.

Hopefully that is not the case and someone has a solution  :-\

GKL

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2017, 07:05:35 pm »
Okay, I found the solution in a youtube comment section -

"turns out it means you have a message waiting for a response. if you ask "Alexa do I have any messages" she'll give you the spiel about the new feature then it goes away. hope this helps!" (edited for spelling)

Once I asked Alexa if I had any messages it spoke an automated message about the new function being available to use and the green pulsing light stopped !  :D

Hopefully this solution being here will help others who have the same problem  :)

malliekm

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2017, 11:35:16 pm »
I had the same problem with a yellow pulsating light.  It was an Amazon delivery notification.  IIRC (and it's likely that I do not!) I had to ask it about my delivery.  Telling Alexa to stop didn't work. 

MikeR

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2017, 10:53:55 pm »
I had the same issue.  I asked Alexa what messages there were & heard none. Then I asked what notifications I had & found one - an Amazon pkg was delivered today.  After hearing about the delivery, the flashing finally stopped.

Alexa really needs to be able to tell why the green light is flashing - is it a call, a message or a notification?

Drwoodr

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2017, 11:54:02 am »
I found the package delivery notification annoying, I guess I order too much from Amazon. I disabled in under Settings/Notifications/Shopping Notifications.

alphatango

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2017, 03:09:48 pm »
 :) I noticed mine pulsing green and found out through the forums that it means I have a call coming in. It wasn't a call. Doing a little more work, I fould out it could be a incoming message. I asked Alexa if I have any messages and she said no, but I do have a notification. I then asked her for notifications and she said I have a delivery out today with Amazon and it is on the way. I said cancel notification and all my echos stopped pulsing green. Long story short, it could be an incoming call, message or notification. Run with it.

tradeup

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2017, 07:04:58 pm »
Well, I asked Alexa if I had any messages, she replied no messages, but i had
a notification - i then asked if i had any notifications, and she told me i had
another Echo2 coming and it would be delivered tomorrow - Then the light
went away!

Owl17

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2018, 12:18:21 pm »
The Help page for the Amazon Echo Dot indicates that a pulsing green light indicates "You are receiving a call or Drop In on your device. To learn more go to Answer or Ignore Calls on Your Echo or Another Supported Device."  The pulsing yellow light is supposedly for notifications.  On my (2nd Gen) Echo Dot, apparently pulsing green means either:
1.  Incoming call OR
2.  Lack of network connectivity OR
3.  I have a waiting message OR
4.  I have a waiting notification.

It is frustrating to not know which it is -- certainly I can cycle through different questions for Alexa, but it would be easier if I could ask "Why is the green light pulsing?" and get an accurate response. . . Oh, well.

ddav88

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2018, 11:15:14 pm »
i stopped the green flashing by asking alexa for my shopping notifications.  i had a delivery notification.  the ring then stopped flashing.

Paul, FL

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2018, 11:50:03 pm »
Thank you...problem solved!

i stopped the green flashing by asking alexa for my shopping notifications.  i had a delivery notification.  the ring then stopped flashing.

DebbieSiler

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2018, 02:33:06 pm »
THANK YOU!
Okay, I found the solution in a youtube comment section -

"turns out it means you have a message waiting for a response. if you ask "Alexa do I have any messages" she'll give you the spiel about the new feature then it goes away. hope this helps!" (edited for spelling)

Once I asked Alexa if I had any messages it spoke an automated message about the new function being available to use and the green pulsing light stopped !  :D

Hopefully this solution being here will help others who have the same problem  :)

catiean

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2019, 06:19:24 pm »
I've had this problem several times. It was extremely annoying overnight because my Echo Dot is in my bedroom. After reading this thread, I asked Alexa if there were any messages. She read them all off, but the light didn't stop pulsing. I read a few more comments and asked Alexa if there were any notifications, and there was one: a package was delivered.

Offline jwlv

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2019, 03:41:30 am »
Although the notifications are useful at times, especially when I get a delivery, I find them to be more of an annoyance. So I just ended up turning off all notifications.