Echo & Alexa Forums

Echo user guide/Manuel - recommendation or waste of $

M1n1fan

Echo user guide/Manuel - recommendation or waste of $
« on: November 10, 2015, 08:01:48 am »
Got an email from Amazon peddling a user guide and manuel. Looking at the site info, there are several other similar books. As a new Echo owner and someone who is relatively tech savvy, I'm wondering if anything useful would be gained by getting one of the books. Or rather just lurk here and any other online sources of Echo info.

mike27oct

Re: Echo user guide/Manuel - recommendation or waste of $
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2015, 02:23:28 pm »
I think you will do fine without any of the books.  Reviews I have seen on the shorter ones comment that there is not much more in book than in the Alexa Help link in the app.  This site has lots of good info; find the thread about Echo commands; chock full of info.  I copied it and made a six page PDF for reference.  Also, the Alexa app notifies if there is a new feature added.  Not rocket science to figure the thing out, since it is basically a glorified internet table radio with extra features.  Bluetooth reception is cool.  Find all the ways to send music to Echo via BT; e. g. from phones, tablets, even old iPods and computers.  A tiny BT transmitter from Amazon can do wonders for the Echo to play from most anything.

bukzin

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2015, 10:07:55 am »
Regarding the BT unit...

What gear are you using it with?

Is it mostly for older equipment that didnt come
with Blutooth?

Thx

bukzin

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2015, 10:11:13 am »
Got an email from Amazon peddling a user guide and manuel. Looking at the site info, there are several other similar books. As a new Echo owner and someone who is relatively tech savvy, I'm wondering if anything useful would be gained by getting one of the books. Or rather just lurk here and any other online sources of Echo info.

I have 'Master Your Amazon Echo'

Super basic and no index in the back.

mike27oct

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2015, 12:50:12 pm »
@bukzin

Yes. I use a BT TX (and RX) for older equipment w/out BT such as iPod and headphones.  I have posted detailed info here, so search posts for Bluetooth transmitter.