Echo & Alexa Forums

Is deregister the same thing as unlink?

malliekm

Is deregister the same thing as unlink?
« on: August 13, 2017, 06:10:10 pm »
Someone has asked me how to unlink and relink their Amazon Echo.
I had to do this with my Google home to fix a problem. Is deregistering the same thing with the Echo?  I think it is but I just want to make for sure before I give any advice.  Then would you just unplug/re-plug and restart the Echo installation process?
Thanks

Offline jwlv

Re: Is deregister the same thing as unlink?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2017, 11:41:19 pm »
There are two ways to reset an Amazon Echo device.

1. You can do a hardware reset. The buttons to press are different on the Echo, Echo Dot v1, Echo Dot v2, Tap, etc.  Make sure to read the directions from Amazon. When you do reset an Echo device, it is still registered to the Amazon account that used it previously. But you still have to go through the original setup thru the app. It's similar to iPhones where the owner has to release it from iCloud before it can be used by another person.

2. You can deregister an Echo device from your Amazon account. View your devices here: https://www.amazon.com/mn/dcw/myx.html/ref=kinw_myk_redirect#/home/devices/1
Once it has been deregistered, you still might want to do a hardware reset to get rid of whatever it was that has been causing the problems.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 01:45:51 am by jwlv »

malliekm

Re: Is deregister the same thing as unlink?
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2017, 12:03:52 am »
Thank you :)