Echo & Alexa Forums

Re Booting Router and Echo keeps on having to be reset

funkyirishman

Re Booting Router and Echo keeps on having to be reset
« on: August 09, 2017, 05:29:32 am »
Hi

I have both an Echo and a Dot.

However when I reboot the wifi  router for whatever reason the Echo goes offline and the Dot does not. Then I have to go through the whole process of setting up wifi on the Echo connecting to the Amazon wifi etc. However the Dot does not require any resets? Is there any way of preventing doing this next time I want to reboot my wifi router

jim1590

Re: Re Booting Router and Echo keeps on having to be reset
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 01:30:33 pm »
Off the top of my head, I wonder if there is a conflict where the router is assigning a dynamic IP address where the Echo is expecting a static address. Not getting it, it has an identity crisis.

After your next reboot and setup, go into the router (when the echo is working) and assign the current IP to the Echos MAC address so it assigns the same on the next reboot.

Like I said, just a thought.

mike27oct

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2017, 02:48:58 pm »
I don't think so, Jim.  I reboot my router quite frequently.  I have four Dots and one Echo connected.  Most of the time they all connect to the router again just fine.  If they don't I just unplug them and when powered back on they connect as usual.  For sure, they do not require a static IP.

jim1590

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2017, 03:42:06 pm »
I don't think so, Jim.  I reboot my router quite frequently.  I have four Dots and one Echo connected.  Most of the time they all connect to the router again just fine.  If they don't I just unplug them and when powered back on they connect as usual.  For sure, they do not require a static IP.

Didn't think so but sometimes the stupidest of things are the issue. I used to laugh at the old question from phone support of "Is it plugged in?" until at my current job I sometimes have to put on a tech support hat and every now and then, that broken computer is simply unplugged somehow.

However... never say never:

https://www.amazon.com/forum/amazon%20discussions%20feedback?cdForum=FxLCMW9UN2N6QR&cdThread=Tx147E6NMUQ5R33

mike27oct

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2017, 06:33:05 pm »
In my experience of forum-reading too many people belive a static IP is the solution to their connectivity issues, when they are not.  I have over 50 devices connected to my router network, and NONE of them have ever had IP issues.  It's all in having modern, quality equipment and how carefully a network is put together.

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2017, 07:23:22 pm »
Ditto to mikes assessment on this... Equipment is key in some instances and quite often, old stuff isn't up to the task. I have been looking into newer stuff lately and prices are going up a bit on the multi piece router sets... I think this is the key to next gen connectivity as well. Looks like everyone is getting in on the game now so there are many choices, but I truly expect I will end up with between $400 and $500 worth of equipment to serve up whole house wifi, within the next 6-8 months...
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!

malliekm

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2017, 12:07:12 am »
What is a multi piece router set?  Would that be a router and extender and or AP?

Offline jwlv

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2017, 01:11:45 am »
It's also known as "whole house WiFi" or "mesh WiFi network".
Here's some of them at Best Buy: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/networking/whole-home-wi-fi/pcmcat748302046257.c?id=pcmcat748302046257

funkyirishman

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2017, 06:13:25 am »
Thanks for the replies

I got onto Chat on Amazon and explained the issue. They said it should re-connect if router rebooted or if wifi went down.

Net result is that they are replacing the Echo and giving me a new one so that's on its way. I wont set up a static IP but if the problem still persists I may try it

For the record I am using the below router

https://www.virginmedia.ie/broadband/learn-about-broadband/equipment/

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2017, 07:38:51 am »
That one looks like a Motorola repackaged... Virgin usually has decent whatever they sell... Branson is a beast and likes to sell quality stuff... so I'd bet your router isn't the problem...

I'm kinda stuck with the FIOS router due to the protocol being different and no one makes aftermarket replacement products for it due to a Proprietary thing... but I can put my own wifi routers on the LAN output and turn off their wireless... so that's probably what will happen eventually... being fast and good ain't cheap.
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
One Ring Doorbell Pro

jim1590

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2017, 09:10:11 am »
In my experience of forum-reading too many people belive a static IP is the solution to their connectivity issues, when they are not.  I have over 50 devices connected to my router network, and NONE of them have ever had IP issues.  It's all in having modern, quality equipment and how carefully a network is put together.

Yup. Let the router do its job. Although there are a few things where static makes more sense such as security cameras, printers and such.

As for current tech, I like Netgear. A number of years back, I got a router from Best Buy with the 2 year Geek Squad protection. My exp has a netgear router lasting about 18 months. So as soon as I start dropping signal, I return it and get full trade value for a better model. I started with a N150 and am now up to the R7000, only paying 30-40 bucks at a time. Everytime, I expect them to cut me off, but they never do.

mike27oct

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2017, 01:31:07 pm »
As for renting routers/modems from my ISP (Comcast) I never have -- too expensive paying for it "forever" so I buy my own.

Concerning the Virgin router (in UK) folks in the UK forums complained about issues and someone learned he needed the newest Virgin router model since the Alexa devices were not connecting well to the older model.  Fixed his problem.  Just search this forum for the key word "virgin" and OP should find these threads.

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2017, 08:24:53 pm »
I own my own router too, Mike... Makes no sense to rent that item as you say "forever"... It'd be different if they offered a free upgrade EVERYTIME there was one made available... but FIOS is pretty solid and doesn't change often...
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
One Ring Doorbell Pro

mike27oct

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2017, 08:57:50 pm »
I have an Asus router that is showing it's age; not tech-wise, but use-wise; its been running for many years and the heat it generates has definitely cooked it well past "well done" -- its acting flaky.  So, very soon I will replace it with a similar dual-band Asus router that is new and I have had stored away awhile for this occasion.

My modem was the fastest one around a few years ago, but I needed to upgrade recently to the newer model after Comcast notified me they had increased the internet speed, but they said I needed to replace with the newer model (which I had stashed away for when it was needed) and replacing the modem doubled the speed of the internet signal.  Now, once again I have the fastest modem.

funkyirishman

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2017, 07:00:23 am »
Got the new Echo and could not connect the wifi and then learned that the Virgin media Hub 3 has 2 frequencies and I had to get Virgin to amend it so that I can select each wifi and then picked the correct one.

Hopefully when I have to reboot the router again or wifi goes down I wont have the same problem