Echo & Alexa Forums

Prevent Echo Dot from automatically resuming playback when Bluetooth connects

mlurie

Does anyone out there in the Echoverse know if there is anyway to prevent the Echo from automatically resuming the last song in the queue when a Bluetooth device connects to it.  I have my Dot paired to my receiver.  I have my Harmony Hub configured to automatically switch to my receiver's Bluetooth input when everything else is turned off.  My Dot then automatically connects to my surround sound system when it is not being used.  This is how I would like it to function, but there is one flaw in my master plan.  As soon as the Dot establishes the Bluetooth connection to my receiver, it automatically resumes whatever song is in the queue.  I do not want this.  I want Alexa to wait until I ask her to play something before a song gets played.  Thoughts?

UPDATE:  After further troubleshooting, it seems to be a function of my Yamaha RX-V679BL receiver, not the Dot.  The Dot does not auto-resume playback when connecting to my wife's Photive portable speaker.  I'm trying to figure out if there is a way to configure the receiver to stop doing this.  If anyone has any experience with Bluetooth and Yamaha receivers, your advice would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 09:08:37 pm by mlurie »

mike27oct

You need to tell Alexa "disconnect bluetooth" and it will not reconnect until you tell it "connect bluetooth", assuming your receiver is cooperative.

mlurie

I do want it to automatically connect to Bluetooth.  My surround sound system is way better than the Echo Dot speaker.  I just don't want it to start playback without being asked to do so.

mike27oct

It will automatically connect (in a sense) if you tell it to connect, but it will not start again until you tell it to. 
Or, try this:  tell Dot to stop, and then it will not be streaming and likely will not play again until you tell it to resume.

jsnkc

I am having the same issue with my Yamaha receiver. I will power off the receiver, and when it powers on it automatically reconnects to the Echo Dot, which is great. However, the receiver will resume playback whatever I was doing last on the Dot, which is not good. Any way to fix this?

mike27oct

This is an issue mostly with your receiver, check the user manual for how to totally turn off BT of device. 

Also, you always have to tell the Alexa device to "disconnect bluetooth" and wait for verbal feedback before turning off receiver.