Echo & Alexa Forums

Echo group no longer working

cpamario

Echo group no longer working
« on: August 04, 2017, 02:18:36 pm »
I have two Venstar thermostats.  One is named "Upstairs" and the other is named "Downstairs."  I created a group named "thermostats" that contains both thermostats.  I would just say, "Alexa, set thermostats to 75" and Alexa would set both thermostats simultaneously to 75 degrees.  This has worked fine this way for many months....until today.  Starting today, when I say "Alexa, set thermostats to 75", she responds,

"There's more than one thermostat in thermostats.  Ask again, using a device's name."

I have tried deleting the group, renaming the group, forgetting all devices...even unlinking the Venstar skill and re-authorizing it.  After doing this and re-creating everything several times, I have given up as the group no longer works.

Did an Amazon update last night affect thermostat groups where they no longer work?

Any advice or help will be greatly appreciated.

rterm

Re: Echo group no longer working
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2017, 04:32:41 pm »
I have exactly the same problem with Nest thermostats.  Alexa no longer finds or controls both thermostats simultaneously within the same group. Anyone find a solution yet?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 04:35:04 pm by rterm »

malliekm

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2017, 05:58:38 pm »
Both of you are lucky you have wifi thermostats.  DH won't let me buy one because he says it will make it too easy for me to go behind him to change the temp  ::)
Sorry I couldn't help.  Have you guys called Amazon or the manufacturer of your thermostats?

Offline jwlv

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2017, 12:46:10 am »
Google (owner of Nest) probably just doesn't want to play nice with Amazon any more and decided to change things up. Has anyone noticed that you can't turn on/off just the HVAC fan via Echo's Alexa, but you can with Google Home?

malliekm

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2017, 02:18:03 am »
Do either of them have a problem with or own Honeywell?  That's who I'm going with if I ever talk my husband into buying one. I'd like Google and Alexa to both play nice with the thermostat.

cpamario

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2017, 02:57:51 pm »
I can say that this is not a problem with the manufacturer and must be a problem with Amazon as I have Venstar thermostats and "rterm" posted that he has Nest thermostats and has experienced the exact same issue.  Sadly this has not been resolved as of 8/27/17.  I am now having to take twice as long to ask Alexa to set my thermostats to a specific temperature (I know...1st world problems).  Once you get used to a convenience, it sucks to have it taken away.

cpamario

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2017, 03:38:30 pm »
Just wanted to follow up on this to say that it has been fixed.