Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Bands and musicians I can't pronounce

donquibeats

Bands and musicians I can't pronounce
« on: July 31, 2017, 11:28:10 am »
Hello

Newbie, first time poster, been using an Echo since Prime Day and still learning so please go easy.

Sometimes I want to listen to music by Celer- ambient soundscapey relaxation stuff- via the Echo, for a chilled out evening.

However I have absolutely no idea how to pronounce 'Celer'. I've only ever seen it written down.

Rather than specifically about this one music artist, I'm thinking in general terms- is there a way to get Alexa to understand which artist I mean more reliably? Is there a way I can work out how to say the name in a way that Alexa will understand?

I know I can use the app, but that's not the point really is it?

Any advice on this extremely unimportant matter would be appreciated.

Re: Bands and musicians I can't pronounce
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2017, 12:07:32 pm »
what music service?   if the service allows it, create playlists for those names you cannot pronounce. 

donquibeats

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2017, 12:20:53 pm »
what music service?   if the service allows it, create playlists for those names you cannot pronounce.

Probably Amazon Music, though I'm considering Spotify. I find making playlists on Spotify far easier so maybe that will sway it.

asianrocker

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2017, 04:51:58 pm »
I pronounce it as - seller. Don't know if it's right but I don't see why you can't try all pronunciations you can think of though.

mike27oct

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2017, 07:20:01 pm »
sometimes in situations like this voice command is not perfect, you need to live with it or find a work-around. 

In a particular situation I have, both Alexa and Google Home have a problem with a particular tunein station's; call letters; they both try to pronounce it rather than say the letters. In the case of Google, if I say play station KUSC, it says can't find station KUNC, In other cases it pronounces station kusk (like tusk)   So to get around this hassle I just ask it to play kusk  (the word, not the call letters) and it works and plays the station!
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 11:29:42 pm by mike27oct »

Offline jwlv

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2017, 07:41:29 pm »
When it comes to musicians and bands, just pronounce it the way it's spelled. That's what an AI would expect to hear.

donquibeats

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2017, 03:56:11 am »
When it comes to musicians and bands, just pronounce it the way it's spelled. That's what an AI would expect to hear.

I've tried "seller", "keller", "celaire" as though it were French, "keeler", "kell-e-rer", none of those worked... looks like I'll have to resort to a playlist.

Thanks

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2017, 04:37:23 am »

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2017, 07:40:31 am »
From Wiktionary or whatever it's called

Pronunciation[edit]
IPA(key): /səle/
Verb[edit]
celer

(transitive, literary) to conceal or hide
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen