Echo & Alexa Forums

User-Defined Remote + Broadlink RM Pro

kartman

User-Defined Remote + Broadlink RM Pro
« on: July 31, 2017, 10:00:21 pm »
New here... I've been tinkering with various home automation devices for years... The latest additions are an Echo Dot and an Broadlink RM Pro.

I've got the RM Pro working from my phone and I've added a TV and 'custom remote'. I've linked in the Alexa skill and done the discover devices step. No matter what I do, I can only get the TV device to come up in the smart home devices list in Alexa.

Please help.

UPDATE - I've been testing some more... when I create a user-defined remote and learn an IR code, I get a network error code after testing. The phone app still seems to be able to activate the code so it's been learned but perhaps something isn't getting saved out to my BroadLink account and therefore not being found when Alexa scans for new devices?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 11:35:23 pm by kartman »

Re: User-Defined Remote + Broadlink RM Pro
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2017, 09:15:32 am »
Currently the IHC app Alexa skill only sees TVs.
The trick to learning a DVD player or something else is set it up as a TV.
1: select add device from the app
2: select TV and from the list select a brand that isn't yours.
3: go through the setup checking no when asked if the power button worked
4: once the app has gone threw codes a info screen will appear select custom learn.
5: a templet will display allowing you to learn each button.
6: once done rename the device and choose a different Icon
7: ask Alexa to discover devices

I've setup my Sat Dish receiver & DVD player this way and Alexa sees them. ;)

kartman

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2017, 11:23:21 pm »
Got it...  not time tonight but I understand your process and will try tomorrow.

One question: in side the IHC app there are a bunch buttons on the TV remote template. I prefer to setup my devices with discrete IR codes for ON and OFF (and avoid using ON/OFF toggles). This allows me to turn the device ON and OFF directly in 'scenes' without needing to know the state of the TV.

Anyway, if I create a custom button for ON and OFF on the IHC TV template and learn the correct IR codes to each. How do I direct Alexa to "press" the right button in IHC. I've not experimented yet but I assume "Alexa, turn the TV on" goes to the power on/off toggle by default.

Any ideas?

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2017, 07:54:18 am »
Most TVs now have a simple power button and the IR signal is the same for both on and off.
However if yours is capable of a On and separate Off IR you could learn the power as ON then a user define for Off. A custom button for both may work as well however.
I'm not sure how the skill handles the command for button IR, I assume it looks for button names.
However that shouldn't matter for scenes as you specify buttons. ;)

vali_ics

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2017, 11:15:22 am »
I can learn new user-defined buttons for some remotes but my alexa will don't recognize user-defined buttons...
Everytime I enter on user-defined I got an network error and that's what I think it's the problem.

Timekeeper

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2018, 10:18:58 pm »
Worked for me. Even though they have updated app to create user defined remotes it still would not recognize in echo but your instructions worked to a T. Thanks for the solution