Echo & Alexa Forums

Non-video doorbell

ssun

Non-video doorbell
« on: July 31, 2017, 12:04:34 am »
Looking for a way to replace my old house doorbell with a switch that just Triggers Alexa with "Someone is at the door." or something like that.  The only thing I see are video doorbells.  Any suggestions on combining tech to make this happen?

Spencer

Re: Non-video doorbell
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2017, 07:11:56 am »
I've had voice notification of someone at the door well before Alexa.
This was done with a PC a motion sensor.

Getting Alexa to speak a specific phrase is beyond my know how.
However it may be possible with IFTTT ??? being outside the US I can't use Alexa with IFTTT.

Offline kevb

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2017, 08:07:55 am »
Alexa has no "actions" in IFTTT- it can't be commanded to say something at this point. There may be a convoluted way to do it with a pc, smart hub or other device, but there is no easy way to accomplish this right now.

ssun

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2017, 06:13:49 pm »
Thanks for the replies.  That's what my research has been turning up, but I was hoping someone had a way around it.  @Kevb, I would have had Alexa play a specific MP3 that announced someone at the door.

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2017, 06:57:57 pm »
I remember several years back someone was triggering a tape which played from a external switch.
It is possible to play a mp3 through your amazon device if paired with a PC.(maybe even a Pi)
You'd need a button which could trigger a batch file on the PC.  ;)

cpamario

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2017, 03:50:25 pm »
I wish someone would make this.  I see there are video doorbells, but they are controlled by Alexa (to turn them on or off).  I want a doorbell that controls Alexa and has Alexa sound a chime on all the echo devices in the house (or those I've configured).  This could be taken a step forward and the front porch light (already connected to Alexa) could come on along with the chime ringing in the house when the doorbell button is pressed.