Echo & Alexa User Discussions and Support Forums

When a person is not breathing, permanent brain damage begins after 4 minutes and death in 6 minutes after that. Can you count on help arriving before that time? Learning proper CPR techniques is easy and you can learn it in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.

Non-video doorbell

Non-video doorbell
« on: July 31, 2017, 12:04:34 am »
Looking for a way to replace my old house doorbell with a switch that just Triggers Alexa with "Someone is at the door." or something like that.  The only thing I see are video doorbells.  Any suggestions on combining tech to make this happen?

Spencer

Re: Non-video doorbell
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2017, 07:11:56 am »
I've had voice notification of someone at the door well before Alexa.
This was done with a PC a motion sensor.

Getting Alexa to speak a specific phrase is beyond my know how.
However it may be possible with IFTTT ??? being outside the US I can't use Alexa with IFTTT.

Offline kevb

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2017, 08:07:55 am »
Alexa has no "actions" in IFTTT- it can't be commanded to say something at this point. There may be a convoluted way to do it with a pc, smart hub or other device, but there is no easy way to accomplish this right now.

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2017, 06:13:49 pm »
Thanks for the replies.  That's what my research has been turning up, but I was hoping someone had a way around it.  @Kevb, I would have had Alexa play a specific MP3 that announced someone at the door.

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2017, 06:57:57 pm »
I remember several years back someone was triggering a tape which played from a external switch.
It is possible to play a mp3 through your amazon device if paired with a PC.(maybe even a Pi)
You'd need a button which could trigger a batch file on the PC.  ;)

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2017, 03:50:25 pm »
I wish someone would make this.  I see there are video doorbells, but they are controlled by Alexa (to turn them on or off).  I want a doorbell that controls Alexa and has Alexa sound a chime on all the echo devices in the house (or those I've configured).  This could be taken a step forward and the front porch light (already connected to Alexa) could come on along with the chime ringing in the house when the doorbell button is pressed.