Echo & Alexa Forums

Alexa stutters and sputters?

ScarlettPhoenix

Alexa stutters and sputters?
« on: November 01, 2015, 09:23:23 am »
Did anyone else have problems with Alexa stuttering last night? I was livid!

During the day, she stuttered when giving me Cat facts and my kitchen recipies. I called CS because my other Echo in the kitchen was fine. Played music like a champ. The first rep put me on hold and then disconnected the call. Wow! I called back, got another rep who sent me out another power cord. She said the power cord might have a short in it since I wasn't having problems with the second Echo.

Then, for Halloween, I took the kitchen Alexa outside (underneath the porch overhang) right behind me to play creepy music as the kiddies came to get candy. And, that one sputtered all over the place! Not only with Prime Playlists but with music I purchased. I had my daughter reset the router and it didn't help much. Oh-the place I put her outside is literally 9" away from an extender, so that shouldn't have been a problem. Much later in the evening she calmed down and behaved like a good little girl.
Any thoughts??

nrgz28

Re: Alexa stutters and sputters?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2015, 01:17:49 pm »
Bad wifi connection ? Not enough speed ?

undrwater

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2015, 07:52:22 pm »
Even though it's close to the repeater, there is likely much more radio interference outside creating problems. There is a great android app called "Wi-Fi analyzer" that will show you the most used channels in your neighborhood, and propose a better one.

I really doubt the problem is with the Echo.

mike27oct

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2015, 10:44:17 pm »
Thumbs up for Wi-Fi Analyzer.  Too bad Apple will not allow an app like this on their devices, (go figure) so glad I also have Kindle Fire HD tablet, too.

Offline jwlv

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2015, 08:21:57 pm »
From your suggestion, I downloaded Wifi Analyzer on my Fire tablet and discovered that the best channels were 3 and 9 in my neighborhood. Seems like most people used ch 6. And the rest of them used ch 1 and ch 11. So that leaves a small slice of spectrum that I can use at ch 3 and ch 9. It was good to know this information. My Fire TV stick on the other side of the house streams much better without as many hiccups as before. The 3 Echoes I have around the house seems to respond just a bit faster now too.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 08:23:52 pm by jwlv »

mike27oct

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2015, 11:50:53 pm »
@jwtl:
As a Wi-Fi Analyzer long time user who has helped others select a clear channel at their location, I have read from their help. and from the PC version of this sort of program, inSSIDer,  Most people are on channels 1, 6 or 11 because those are the channels most clear with no overlap of other channels, and Comcast and other ISPs set routers for any of those today. 

Yes, I know channel 6 is likely the most crowded, but I use it because it is the least crowded of the three channels near my house, and the signals for 6 are weaker than 1 and 11. So, after using a few different channels for many years, over a year ago I finally settled on using 6 (unless my environment changes) .  It is best NOT to use other channels than 1, 6 and 11 because of certain overlap from one of them depending on which channel you select.  So, select the least crowded channel (without strong signals) from either 1, 6 or 11.

You may need to use WiFi Analyzer for a few evenings so you see all the signals around you and their strength, sine many people do NOT leave their router on 24/7 like I do.  They only turn it on (in evening) when they turn on the PC. 
Hope this helps.

mike27oct

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2015, 01:14:53 am »
What I wrote above pertains to the 2.4G signal, and if one has a dual-band router, the 5G signals can also be examined with WiFi Analyzer.  We use the 5G signal on our mobile devices since we have good coverage for it in most of the house and we do a lot of streaming; 5G is essential for that.  In fact, I don't even use the 2.4G and have told my personal devices to "forget" my 2.4G signal, but if I need it, I can always get back on it by entering the password again.  Only our Chromecast and Echo use the 2.4G, because in the Echo's location, 2.4G is stronger than the 5G.  Since the only streaming the Echo does is music, 2.4G works fine since music streaming is lots less demanding than watching HD video on tablets. 

The main Guest signal for internet-only also uses our 2.4G, and if I want to allow someone into our home network, I have another Guest signal that uses 5G and allows for accessing our home network's media files.  The second Guest signal is only on for when "special" guests are visiting.

One other tidbit:  When I got an Amazon Fire Stick and connected it to the 5G, I noticed that the Speedtest.net results had dropped significantly.  So, I connected the Fire Stick to my range extender's 5G (with a different name) and the Speedtest results on the main 5G signal returned to normal.  Seems that if the Fire Stick was streaming on the main 5G it degraded the signal, but on its own signal, 5G_EXT, it did not. 

Wireless can be weird and strange, and why I use wired connections when and where I can with my many gadgets, computers, etc.  Fortunately, my house is CAT5e cable wired internally in many rooms.