Echo & Alexa Forums

AdBlock shows Alexa makes thousands of requests why?

samsethi

AdBlock shows Alexa makes thousands of requests why?
« on: July 29, 2017, 05:46:01 am »
Hi

I have adblock pro running on my chrome browser and noticed that while using Alexa it is blocking thousands of requests.  What is Amazon doing to generate this many requests.  I would only normally get 10 blocked requests on mainstream news sites. 

It doesn't effect my Alexa usage but just curious of anyone else seen this and knows why?

Sam

Re: AdBlock shows Alexa makes thousands of requests why?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2017, 08:58:53 am »
Unless you have "installed" a skill that uses chrome... I can't imagine why this happens... I was under the impression that Alexa used Bing as her search engine... has something changed?
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!

StevenR

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2017, 09:08:21 am »
If these are coming from the Alexa website, this may be because this makes quite heavy use of AJAX calls (dynamic requests from Javascript). One reason for this is to allow the cards view of the site to dynamically update whenever you do anything with your Echo without you needing to refresh the page. It is possible that AdBlock is picking up on these requests.

mike27oct

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2017, 02:44:57 pm »
to OP:

In case you did not know, I will let you in on it:   The true purpose of the Amazon devices that are so affordable is that they are AD machines and info gathering devices you have willingly placed in your home.  The main goal of Amazon is to sell, sell, sell you stuff -- and, (along with Google, Apple etc) to eventually rule the world.  They are all pretty good at it too; based on the giant fortunes they have all gathered.

mindmagic

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2017, 04:27:38 am »
Interesting; I've never noticed this before. I have uBlock Origin running in Chrome on my PC, and the alexa.amazon.co.uk is now showing >1K blocks (it went up progressively while I was typing this).