Echo & Alexa Forums

Why cellular data?

malliekm

Re: Why cellular data?
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2017, 12:34:19 am »
Well well, Alexa seems to be using some of my mobile data too. 19 MB since July 20.  I do know that my Dots work perfectly fine with mobile data turned off.  Interesting.

malliekm

« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2017, 12:56:20 am »
your alexa app could be using cell data.  do you have the phones setting to update only on wifi?  do you ever access it when not home?

I don't update on wifi only so I bet that's it.  It's not the actual Dot using cellular, it's the app.

mike27oct

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2017, 03:39:13 am »
Finally, we are getting somewhere.  First get this straight; the DOT is not using any cellular data, but the Alexa APP will whenever you are not on your wireless, like at a friends, the store, driving around, etc.  Why: because the app (like many apps) is designed to check with its mother ship periodically.  When apps get installed, they default to use background cell data.  This is not a bad thing, but too much of this going on can use excessive cell data AND drain the battery of phone quicker.

Maybe it is time to remind mikem and others about a "best practice" rule of cell phones, and it is to turn off (rather than minimize) apps you are not currently using.  Too many people hardly ever turn off apps (a dozen or many more could be running), so all these unused apps are churning away in the background draining the battery and sucking up some cell data when not on home wi-fi. People with metered or set amount of data home wi-fi, also are using up data that is costing them, 

So, Bottom line is: If you are not using an app, turn it completely off, and periodically I turn off every app that is not in use.  The only one I usually always leave on is the phone's Settings app, because I am always using it it seems. So, all my apps are all mostly off and not on except when I use them, and when I am done, I turn them off.  I just checked my phone; there are 5 apps on, none are being used, so I turned them all off; including Settings.

For example, the Alexa app.  Mostly it's off, but say I am at the store, I may turn it on and check the shopping list.  This is when it uses cellular data.  I may keep app running the whole time I am in store, but will turn it off real soon afterward.  There really is no app that needs to be running constantly.

OK, mikem's issue is resolved, so am going to bed now and turn off all my brain's optional apps as well!
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 03:44:15 am by mike27oct »

« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2017, 09:05:34 am »
Agreed... I keep all apps turned off when not in use... have forever, once I figured out they run all the time and drain batteries... I have killer awesome battery life on a 3 year old iPhone still... at the end of the day (depending on what I've been doing) I have 70%-95%. Rarely below 70%... but when out of town or on the road for whatever reason I may run lower... I probably shoudl check on the Alexa app usage stats as well... I use that at home on the Echo's but rarely on the phone, but as stated, new apps, set up their basic settings default to Cellular data usage "on".
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!